RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

What is your home router/firewall/WiFi solution?

Dave

How many units did you have to use? Gen 1 or 2?

DaMenace
How many units did you have to use? Gen 1 or 2?

All Gen 2

Dave

Gen 2 units are good. Very good.

• Like 1

DaMenace
Gen 2 units are good. Very good.

I am just amazed with how they operate. The two story house is used by five growing boys and Netflix on all the bedrooms upstairs wirelessly. The main Eero is in the center of the house and wired to a Roku 4 on the main big screen. I have had this implemented for a couple of months now and the Mom told me she has five happy boys now. I don’t know any better statement of operation than that.

GavinCampbell

I have the Gen1 Pro setup and they are extremely good as well.  I have no blind spots in my house now and all of my IOT devices that require WiFi have been extremely stable.  I can't recommend eero enough.  It may be expensive (especially up here in Canada) but solves the issue.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Does Eero allow you to assign your own divice names in its interface. This is something I use a lot with my nighthawk.

DaMenace
Does Eero allow you to assign your own divice names in its interface. This is something I use a lot with my nighthawk.

Each Eero device can have its own custom naming convention and can be monitored and controlled via a smart phone app in IOS or Android.

ImTheTypeOfGuy
5 minutes ago, DaMenace said:

Each Eero device can have its own custom naming convention and can be monitored and controlled via a smart phone app in IOS or Android.

I was talking about assigning names to your TV's, phones, computers, etc. Not naming the Eero devices. Sorry that wasn't clear.

GavinCampbell
2 minutes ago, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

I was talking about assigning names to your TV's, phones, computers, etc. Not naming the Eero devices. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Yup.  You can give nicknames to all devices.

mattb75

Router = Billion 8800nl R2 vDSL connection 35/8mbps

WiFi = 2 x TP-Link EAP110 AP’s manages via EAP Controller software. Not the best kit!!

Firewall = used to run Sophos UTM but kept hitting the 50ip limit, plus failed the ‘WAF’ test after a discussion about how she could manage the network if I wasn’t at home!

Just fired up Sophos XG 17 to get some usage data but still find it lacking and would still fail the ‘WAF’ Test.

Ideally want a WiFi firewall combo solution which used AD credentials to authenticate to WiFi and Firewall through SSO to enable differing user access permissions and full user logging (time/site/usage etc..) ideally all managed through a mobile app!

Any suggestions?!