RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

What is your home router/firewall/WiFi solution?

PCEddie

I setup a Eero WiFi network at a house today and turn to their advertising, the setup took 10 minutes and a few minutes to setup the beacons. I was impressed with the coverage of the 4000 square foot house.

GavinCampbell
21 minutes ago, PCEddie said:

I setup a Eero WiFi network at a house today and turn to their advertising, the setup took 10 minutes and a few minutes to setup the beacons. I was impressed with the coverage of the 4000 square foot house.

Same here.  I installed Eero in my place and I haven't had any issues at all with WiFi.  With my previous setup some of my HA devices were dropping off, now its so good everything just works.  It wasn't cheap but definitely solved my WiFi issues in a 2500sq ft house.

Dave

I'm all eero right now. Testing eero plus. Listen to RESET 39 for a few thoughts.

Ikon-TNG
15 hours ago, nrf said:

one of my biggest complaints with the consumer wifi routers is the tendency for the mfgs to stop issuing updated firmware. another concern is that eventually the backdoors get discovered and you are really SOL as there will be no updates (murphy says). pfsense/opnsense/sophos etc. will be pretty much updating as needed and you an always switch if one goes belly up.

If you don't mind, I have some questions about using a firewall like pfsense/opnsense/sophos/untangle with wireless. From your post it sounds as though you're using one to act as a WiFi Access Point. I'm wondering how that works.

One question has to do with WiFi coverage. My Untangle box is buried in the basement, in the furnace/water heater room. I assume most people keep theirs somewhere out of the way. If so, how do you get good coverage? My D-Link DIR-628 is in the living room, tucked behind the TV. It's very central in the house, but invisible. Because of where it is, the coverage is pretty good.

Another question has to do with how a pfsense or Untangle box does WiFi. Do you have a wireless add-in card installed in yours? What do you think is the best way to give a firewall box WiFi capability? I found this at newegg: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACU957H2597&cm_sp=Homepage_MKPL-_-P1_9SIACU957H2597-_-01062018. Would that be a way of extending the WiFi signal from a 'remote' firewall box to give better coverage in a house?

itGeeks
3 hours ago, Dave said:

I'm all eero right now. Testing eero plus. Listen to RESET 39 for a few thoughts.

Just wondering y not Orbi? What does eero have going for it that Orbi does not??

Dave

eero covers a larger sq. foot house better than Orbi does at a lower price point.  Sure, I can paint with Orbi like crazy but it costs more in the end.  Not that I don't love a good Orbi. Strong signal and good coverage.  I just got into eero first.

• Like 1

DaMenace

I am using a four segment network at my home business.
1) cable modem set as bridge
2) Meraki MR-18 firewall for business lab network including full stack of switch and wireless AP(all Meraki)
3) Ubiquiti Edge Router Pro for main business network with UNIFI Wireless AP
4) Mikrotik RB3011UIAS-RM for Second Business Network (No Wireless)
5) Ubiquiti Edge Router X for Home Network with ASUS Wireless AP
Notes:
1) I have a nice mix of Cisco firewalls and Switches for my lab network
2) My Windows Server 2012R2 is located in the main business network. Backup is a mix of Synology, Netgear and Seagate NAS devices
3) My home network has its own PLEX server with backup routed via VLAN to the custom built NAS running Xpenology
4) I also have a large OFFICE 365 Enterprise account for backup to ONEDRIVE. This also provides my complete Office application base.

nrf
13 hours ago, Ikon-TNG said:

If you don't mind, I have some questions about using a firewall like pfsense/opnsense/sophos/untangle with wireless. From your post it sounds as though you're using one to act as a WiFi Access Point. I'm wondering how that works.

actually my utm is just for wired. I take wireless routers, disable all the router features, and attach their lan side to the lan switch making them essentially access points.

Jason
eero covers a larger sq. foot house better than Orbi does at a lower price point.  Sure, I can paint with Orbi like crazy but it costs more in the end.  Not that I don't love a good Orbi. Strong signal and good coverage.  I just got into eero first.

Tested Eero Gen 2 in my home environment alongside Netgear Orbi without the same results. Seems results vary by device and use case.

Liked the aesthetics and form factor of Eero a lot, but the coverage and throughout was inferior to Orbi here. Maybe a function of all brick exterior, floor plan and sq footage.

DaMenace

I have installed Eero into a 6000 sq ft single floor home. There is no room that does not have coverage. I monitor the status of the wireless system remotely and have seen no errors or issues with the Eero system. The customer is absolutely amazed with the coverage and quality Eero provides.
I also have a two story house of about 4500 sq ft with three of the new Eero Plus devices installed. Overall I am sold on Eero for a reliable and efficient wireless mesh system period.