RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

What is your home router/firewall/WiFi solution?

schoondoggy
20 minutes ago, itGeeks said:

I am using the Synology RT2600 AC wireless router and no extra AP's, We are in a small house and coverage is great. This router also has some nice feature to protect from Malware but there is no AV. I also do Geo blocking to block inbound for anything other then US.

I have use Untangle in the past and I did like it but trying to setup parental controls was a pain and with 2 little ones in the house ages 3-6 I need this. The new Bitdefender Box 2 looks promising, I had looked at v1 but it did not get good review and performance was bad partly due to it only having a 10/100 connection.

What are you running Untangle on now?

I was running some distro's in a VM but something does not sit well with me running your router in a VM, If something goes belly up with the host your completely down. I much prefer bare metal now for my router.

I am running Untangle on a Fujitsu Primergy MX130 S1 server

itGeeks

Interesting box, Thank you.

Jason

Sophos UTM with Netgear Orbi in Access Point mode behind the UTM. Can’t recommend Sophos UTM more except for the 50 IP limit. As an enthusiast you’ll reach this free limit sooner than you’d expect.

thanlindley

I’m using small Atom hardware with pfsense, Plume for WiFi.
I want try Ubiquit edge router but haven’t gotten around to it. Since pfsense is so solid, not catalyst to try.
I used to have OpenMesh but switched to Plume for more small APs. It’s pretty good and flexible, and latest update added an interesting guest access option. But lately I’ve seen some drop issues.
I use Circle and OpenDNS for filtering. Thinking about dropping OpenDNS for quad9 and keeping circle.

ShadowPeo

Router/Firewall at the moment I am utilising a Cisco 867VAE-W which I managed to get a rackmount for. I have previously trialled several others and found that I preferred the Untangle solution but due to me trying to reduce my needs on extra hardware I have virtualised it and not finished rebuilding it. I am also highly tempted by the UniFi Secure Gateway Pro (I am really only interested in the pro due to the fact it is rack mountable). Next purchase is going to be a UniFi 48 Port 500W or 750W switch, that and a couple of the Phones

Ikon-TNG

My firewall/router is an old PC running Untangle (yes, it's the one my father set up). The only change I've made to that box is to subscribe to the Home Licence for $50/yr, something that wasn't available in my father's day. I have also set up a second Untangle box, as a backup to the primary. I set it up for 2 reasons: 1) a spare PC became available and 2) the box my father set up is getting pretty old, so I wanted to be prepared. I have even practiced swapping over the Untangle licence to the spare box and bringing it online.

There's only 1 wireless Access Point in the house: a D-Link DIR-628. It's old, but it works, so why change it?

up7500

I use Jetway JBC320U93W-2930-B Intel Celeron N2930 Dual Intel Lan Fanless NUC, 2.5" HDD running pfsense.  Then I have 2 TPlink routers running in access point mode. One of these days I will try to track down a wireless lan card to go in it that is compatible with pfsense and then have a third AP.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000) and a Ubiquiti Networks Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Point. My house is fairly large so this covers 75% of it fairly well. I will upgrade to a mesh network when this quits working for me.

pcdoc

Person

On 1/4/2018 at 8:29 AM, schoondoggy said:

Just curious to see what forum members are using. 

Currently, I have Untangle at Home for firewall and two DLink DAP-2660 AP's for WiFi. It works well  no big issues, but before I renew Untangle for another year I wanted to see what others are using. I am interested in the Bitdefender Box.

Personally, I would not give up pFsense in lieu of an off the shelf solution.  Since most of the enhancements come from WiFi, the ability to try or replace wireless solutions without redoing your security is easier with a dedicated AP solution.  In contrast, pfSense will do much better at locking down your network than most of these all in one solution.

nrf

one of my biggest complaints with the consumer wifi routers is the tendency for the mfgs to stop issuing updated firmware. another concern is that eventually the backdoors get discovered and you are really SOL as there will be no updates (murphy says). pfsense/opnsense/sophos etc. will be pretty much updating as needed and you an always switch if one goes belly up.