RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

What is your home router/firewall/WiFi solution?

schoondoggy

Just curious to see what forum members are using. 

Currently, I have Untangle at Home for firewall and two DLink DAP-2660 AP's for WiFi. It works well  no big issues, but before I renew Untangle for another year I wanted to see what others are using. I am interested in the Bitdefender Box.

GavinCampbell

I got pfSense setup in a VM and Eero handling the Wifi.

LAN speeds are great.  Wifi speeds are great.  It just works.

nrf

I change mine like my wife changes purses... currently on sophos UTM on an old PC, dual LAN segments, one for inside one for outside, and random wireless routers set up in AP mode.

PCEddie

Asus RT-AC 1900 router and a pair of moca adapters to connect my office to the internet. So far this setup is working in my 1700 square foot townhome.

• Like 1

itGeeks

I am using the Synology RT2600 AC wireless router and no extra AP's, We are in a small house and coverage is great. This router also has some nice feature to protect from Malware but there is no AV. I also do Geo blocking to block inbound for anything other then US.

I have use Untangle in the past and I did like it but trying to setup parental controls was a pain and with 2 little ones in the house ages 3-6 I need this. The new Bitdefender Box 2 looks promising, I had looked at v1 but it did not get good review and performance was bad partly due to it only having a 10/100 connection.

What are you running Untangle on now?

3 hours ago, GavinCampbell said:

I got pfSense setup in a VM and Eero handling the Wifi.

LAN speeds are great.  Wifi speeds are great.  It just works.

I was running some distro's in a VM but something does not sit well with me running your router in a VM, If something goes belly up with the host your completely down. I much prefer bare metal now for my router.

itGeeks
2 hours ago, PCEddie said:

Asus RT-AC 1900 router and a pair of moca adapters to connect my office to the internet. So far this setup is working in my 1700 square foot townhome.

MoCA is great technology, What version of MoCA are you using? What is the make and model of them??

I am using these and they work great..

Edited by itGeeks

PCEddie
I am using the Synology RT2600 AC wireless router and no extra AP's, We are in a small house and coverage is great. This router also has some nice feature to protect from Malware but there is no AV. I also do Geo blocking to block inbound for anything other then US.

I have use Untangle in the past and I did like it but trying to setup parental controls was a pain and with 2 little ones in the house ages 3-6 I need this. The new Bitdefender Box 2 looks promising, I had looked at v1 but it did not get good review and performance was bad partly due to it only having a 10/100 connection.

What are you running Untangle on now?
I was running some distro's in a VM but something does not sit well with me running your router in a VM, If something goes belly up with the host your completely down. I much prefer bare metal now for my router.
Check out what I found on B&H Photo Video https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1179502-REG
MoCA is great technology, What version of MoCA are you using? What is the make and model of them??
I am using these and they work great..
Actionte Bonded MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter (2-Pack)

itGeeks

Those are the same ones I am using, Great choice.

PCEddie
Those are the same ones I am using, Great choice.
Yeppers I have not had a chance to to some network speed tests.

itGeeks

I have a saying, Its good to bench mark but sometimes it may not show what we expect to see. Then it comes down to if it feels good it must be good. Take a car for example, The car specs say it goes 200 miles an hour but 150 feels fast enough. It still good to know though. Please post your test results after testing.

Edited by itGeeks