RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need large'ish NAS

Mario P.

I have old WHS v.1 20-bay movie server.

Few years ago I bought QNAP TS-415+ with 4Tb drives setup in RAID5.

I really like PLEX on QNAP and started moving/transcoding my movies from WHS to QNAP.

Well, my 4-bay QNAP is full. 

I need to get a larger one.

I'm looking at 8-bay ones and just don't think it'll be large enough once I start getting more BD movies, and especially once 4K movies start moving into my home (probably 1-2 years away).

8-Bay units setup in RAID6 with the largest 12TB drives will be limited to 72TB. I have immediate use for about 30TB -- that's 42% of maximum 8 bay capacity. 

I don't really need much processing power, but am afraid to run out of space again.

Also, I don't want to get a power hungry monster (like my 20-bay WHS was) because I want to keep running it 24/7 and electricity was in the order of $28-40 per month.

I like QNAP. I would like to get another one but looking at prices of $3,500-$6,000 for 16-bay unit just seems high -- really high.

Is QNAP overpriced, or are the components just that good/pricey for what I get. 

Again, I don't need much processing power (no need for VMs, CPU heavy tasks beyond PLEX transcoding), just large space (80+TB).

What have you or would you do?

P.S. I would prefer Intel CPU if at all possible.

TIA,

Mario

I am a bit confused. You say you wan't to run Plex on it but you don't need much power, Could you explain? If you need Plex to do 'real-time transcode then you need a powerful CPU. Each 1080 stream that needs trans-coding needs a PassMark score of 2000.

One option you can look at is XPEnology, This is Synology DSM running on your own hardware and from expiriance it works great. Have a look at this How-to video created by Morton over at 'My Play House, He does a great job walking you threw the steps to get it setup.

Edited by itGeeks

ItGeeks is right. Plex and CPU go hand in hand. I’ve even consider upgrading my Core i5 server box to something more powerful for Plex Media Center. As the same box hosts both my PMS and Blue Iris with 8 IP cameras.

One option you can look at is XPEnology, This is Synology DSM running on your own hardware and from expiriance it works great. Have a look at 
 How-to video created by Morton over at 'My Play House, He does a great job walking you threw the steps to get it setup.

I didn't realize XPEnology was Synology DSM. Does it allow you to use all the Synology apps? I guess I need to start researching XPEnology.

Yes you can run all the Synology apps:) The only thing I can caution you on is don't allow DSM to auto update itself, Minor updates and security updates have been fine but for major OS updates you need a new loader from XPEnology. That's the only downfall going this rout.