RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver gen 10 with GT 1030

Tony_Wenzl

Hi guys,

as a proud owner of my new microserver gen 10 box I like the Opteron APUs as they are good all-in-one chips with decent graphics. But as I need litle more juise for my CUDA / OpenCL calculations I've quickly realized that on-chip R5 GPU cores are not suitable for that load / work. I'm seriously thinking about buyig low profile GT 1030 card as it has quite decent computing power for that price (~1,3 teraflops) and also drains ~30W in max load, but I'm not sure if the on-board PCIe 3.0 8x slot will be capable of supplying enough amps to the card as it most porbably has only 25W limit (according to PCIx 3.0 8x standart). Card itself will fit to the slot without any problems as the microservers's 8x lane is open-ended.

Could you guys advice if the GT 1030 could run on my microserver gen 10 without any issues?  I suppose +5W drain above the 25W limit might have some negative effect to stability or might even reduce system board lifetime in the worst scenario.

It's the shame that gen10 did'n have 16x lane, as gen8 does. As the 75w limit on 16x is ok even to run 1050TI.

Edited by Tony_Wenzl

On 04.01.2018 at 12:46 PM, Tony_Wenzl said:

And what was the problem? Card was not detected ? Could you be more concrete?

Blank screen when i put hdmi cable to 1030.

win10 show card as unknown device and wont install drivers.

looks like we need 16x videocard which 8x electrical , like:

AMD Radeon Pro WX 3100 PCI-Express x16 (x8 Electrical)

Nvidia also have x8 electrical cards

Hi guys, finally I've bought the card (Gigabyte gt 1030 -  the low profile one with passive heatsink) and it seems to be working very well on my gen10  (card was immediately recognized in kernel (dmesg) and visble in lspci output). I use Ubuntu server 16.04 and I was able to successfully run the card with latest Nvidia Linux drivers. I'm able to run CUDA and Opencl apps as intended. Also 8X port seems to have enough power to supply 30 watts (runs stable under 100% load for couple of days). It might even work in the second PCIe 4x slot (which is 1x link actually) but I did not test it (is heatsink fins have to be slightly bended for the card to fit to the second PCIe slot like here:

but in theory it should work in PCIe as well (the same wat as the riser cards whech are PCIe 1x do work).

So I'm happy to confirm that 1030 is working on my Gen10.

On 5. 1. 2018 at 11:07 PM, itx said:

That's good news! Very nice little card indeed! It has tdp ~65W though. So it looks like Nvidia Pascal is more suitable for the job (it has around 1.2 teraflops (copared to ~1,3 of wx2100) so AMD card should be slightly faster. But AMD is more professional card (but also twice a price of GT1030). Do anyone own this card?

7 hours ago, Tony_Wenzl said:

That's good news! Very nice little card indeed! It has tdp ~65W though. So it looks like Nvidia Pascal is more suitable for the job (it has around 1.2 teraflops (copared to ~1,3 of wx2100) so AMD card should be slightly faster. But AMD is more professional card (but also twice a price of GT1030). Do anyone own this card?

WX2100 have 35W TDP , WX3100 50W

7 hours ago, Tony_Wenzl said:

Hi guys, finally I've bought the card (Gigabyte gt 1030 -  the low profile one with passive heatsink) and it seems to be working very well on my gen10  (card was immediately recognized in kernel (dmesg) and visble in lspci output). I use Ubuntu server 16.04 and I was able to successfully run the card with latest Nvidia Linux drivers.

So I'm happy to confirm that 1030 is working on my Gen10.

Hmm.. i try GigaByte GeForce GT 1030 [GV-N1030D5-2GL] (With active heatsink) , its not works , no signal output.

Can you please post exact model name of your card?

P.S. You have 3216 or 3421 cpu?

Edited by itx

• 3 weeks later...

I am also interested. The onboard GPU performed terribly on the UserBenchMark test.

Will adding a graphics card help me play 4k content on my TV? Thanks

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't bother buying a gt1030 for this server for hardware encode/decode, even if you manage to get it working in 8x electrical (hours wasted here), it doesnt contain an nvenc chip: (learnt the hard way)

Nvidia Encode Decode Support Matrix

You may be able to get a half height quadro p1000 going in it, but after a bit of research im going to try out this Radeon Pro wx3100 as it has hevc encode/decode and see how it goes with windows :)

Current Specs:

micro gen 10 x3421,
32g ddr4 ecc 2400mhz
pcie nvme m2 970 pro 1tb - osd