RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving Disks from Gen8 Server to Gen8 Server

SplitPixel

I have an HP Microserver Gen8 which is failing to boot. It has an SSD boot drive (WIndows 10) and 4 SATA drives in the standard bays at the front. 

I've got hold of an identical Microserver Gen8 and what I'd like to do is move all the drives across to this server which works fine. I've attached the SSD drive but haven't put in the SATA disks as yet. I've checked the BIOS and it can see the SSD drive, so that looks good (I set the BIOS to boot using the AHCI SATA option).

The issue I have now is that the Gen8 server has a built-in RAID controller (Dynamic HP Smart Array B120i RAID support) and I'm pretty sure when I originally set it up, I didn't setup any RAID at the hardware level, and thought I just set them up as just a bunch of disks (any way to check?). In Windows 10, I used storage spaces with parity for software RAID (different story).

So, my question is - can I put the SATA disks in the drive bays and boot up and it will see the drives / Windows Storage Space as normal or do I have to do anything in the HP provisioning beforehand? I remember that original server that fails to boot also uses the same B120i RAID controller).

I don't have a backup of the data that's on there and I can download it all again, but there's a lot of it (6TB), so I want to avoid having to do that.

Edited by SplitPixel
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SplitPixel

• schoondoggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, so I ended up taking a slightly different approach on the basis that we're assuming that the controller didn't do anything RAID-related to the disks.    I purchased a PCI-E 4 Port SATA c

schoondoggy

If you are booting from an SSD on the 5th SATA port you are likely using the B120i. The MS Gen8 will not boot from the 5th SATA port in AHCI mode. You may have set up each drive as an individual RAID0 in the B120i. That would present them to Windows as individual drives. If the server powers up you should be able to get to the B120i setup and view the configuration during POST. Even if the server does not boot, you may be able to get to the info through iLo. As long as you configure the new server the same you should be able to move the drives. I would back up the data before you do anything.

SplitPixel

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm a bit confused in that case. The SSD drive is connected to the SATA port next to the main motherboard power connector. In the BIOS I changed the controller option to the AHCI SATA and tried booting the OS without the 4 SATA disks in and Windows started to boot. I turned it off as soon as I saw the Windows 10 boot logo. So without any other hard drives in the system, it must be booting from this drive.

My memory is fuzzy around the original installation, but I seem to remember using the HP provisioning utility and just adding all of the disks as a single array, then once WIndows was installed, just using Windows Storage Spaces to create a storage pool from the 4 SATA disks. 

I'll go and check the B120i setup (that's via F5 or F10 I believe?). I know very little about RAID controllers so didn't want to even put the disks in the system until I got some feedback from more experienced users. 

schoondoggy

In AHCI it will boot from the 5th SATA port if there are no other drives in the server.

If you created a single array in the B120i, you would have seen one disk in Windows not four.

SplitPixel

OK, so I booted the server and I could see a 1785-Drive Array Not Configured message displayed once the Bl20i controller started.

I hit F5 to go into the  HP Smart Storage Administrator and selected HPE Smart Storage Administrator. Once in there I selected the Bl20i controller and it showed on the right-hand-side of the screen there were 5 UNASSIGNED DRIVES. One of these will be the SSD drive (with my Windows OS on) and the other 4 the SATA drives (where my data is). When I select CONFIGURE under the ACTIONS section, I can see the 5 UNASSIGNED DRIVES again. 

So from memory this looks like it was when I originally installed the system, which makes sense but I'm not sure what to do now as I didn't think I'd be creating a new array as it would destroy the data on the four SATA disks? 

Based on what you mention above, do I need to go into the BIOS and change the boot to the Bl20i controller? I had a look at this earlier and there was a big red warning saying that if you selected that option it would destroy the data on the disks?

I really appreciate your help on this.

SplitPixel

I get it on the new one. Unfortunately I don’t remember whether it was on the old one and because I can’t boot it now I can’t check. 

SplitPixel

When the power lead is connected, the power indicator light at the front of the server is orange. You can press that and it goes green. The fans turn momentarily and then shutdown. After about 20-30 seconds, you get a fast, red flashing light at the bottom of the server.

Initially I thought it wasn't getting enough power due to a faulty power supply, but I tried taking the PSU from the working server and it done the same thing. I've re-seated memory and other than the CPU, I don't see what else to check as it's just integrated motherboard components. Nothing shows on the monitor at any time.

Can you still see what's happening via the iLO?