Sign in to follow this  
judgeschambers

Restore WHS 2011 OS via WHS Backup

judgeschambers
Posted (edited)

Hello, 

Per my signature, I have WHS 2011 installed on a HP N54L that I built and have had in service since March 2013.  I have a CorsAir  60Gb SSD HD running on SATA #5 with the modded bios to allow  WHIS to install  on this small OS hard drive.

I have a WD PCI-e USB 3.0 card with a 3 yr old Seagate Backup Plus 2Tb drive connected that WHS places the Server OS backups to. 

The problems:

1. With Windows updates, the 60 gb SSD has only 5 gb space available and I'm getting warnings as such. So, I want to install a new Sandisk 240 gb SSD to replace it. 
  2. When I run the WHS Server disk, the restore server OS process either locks up looking for the files on the Seagate usb drive or does not discover the files and the scan just runs and runs. 

The processes:

1. I remove all my storage drives from the N54L four bays. 
  2. Swap the old 60gb OS SSD for the new 240 GB SSD
  3. Plug in my LG portable DVD drive into the rear USB 2.0 and use it to spin the WHS disc
  4. Connect the Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0 Drive to the N54L (this is where it takes four paths and all fail) (bios is configured prior for proper boot sequence of DVD first, new OS SSD 2nd)
    1. Since USB drives are backwards compatible, if it is connected to the N54L 2nd remaining 2.0 USB from boot up (post screen shows the DVD, the new SSD and the Segate USB Drive), I select Restore Files in the back up menu the screen goes black except for the WHS background image. Sits and never resolves. 
    2. Or leave the Seagate USB drive unconnected until I get to the Restore Files menu, connect, then select restore files/etc. The  scanning for back  up files dialog runs this time and never finds the files. Only way to get out is to hard reboot the server. 
    3. Same as #2 but skip the  initial file search and click advanced. Connect the USB  dirve and then click refresh and nothing shows up. Click scan and it too will run forever and not see the drive with the backup files. 
    4. Or resort to installing the PCIe drivers via a thumb drive and then connect the drive to the PCIe USB 3 and it will not recognize it in the list. Click search and it searches without success. 

I'm thinking I need to transfer the WHS OS Backup files on the Seagate Backup Plus USB drive onto another bare hard drive and insert into one of the N54L HD bays and see if it will then find the backup files. Thus eliminating the whole USB 3/2 interface. 

Thoughts?  

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by judgeschambers

judgeschambers

Anyone have any info on WHS 2011 OS restore from backup files per above? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• ShadowPeo
      By ShadowPeo
      Browsing around my Synology App store yesterday and what did I notice, but they now have Acronis integrated directly and officially supported, not even 1000 downloads on this thing yet. I do not use Acronis personally, But the integration gives me the thought to try it out, especially for mobile devices.

The other one that got my attention was Eynio (https://eynio.com) server which does home automation and tablet control panels utilising web apps. I have not successfully got this working yet *its installed and running at least officially, but I cannot connect to the web interface for some reason. It integrates with a bunch of Home Automation stuff (https://eynio.com/wp/devices/) and it looks like exactly what I have been wanting for a while, now if I can just get into it and make it work

• Orion
      By Orion
      I am thinking about getting a synology nas to store music pictures and videos. I would like to be able to use iTunes and iPhoto in my Mac to manage those files. Then i will use plex to manage my video files in the server. 
      Is there a format I can make my disks to read well in both Mac and pc?
    • MattG
      By MattG
      Had my server on a shelf for a while during a recent move.  Just got it plugged back in and updated.  This was an (admittedly overkill) replacement for a Windows Home Server that I adored but would not work with recent upgrades to my family's computers.

At the moment all the server is doing is file storage and nightly backups of my family's computers.

What I'm trying to remember is how to lock client backups so they don't get deleted.  Used to be an easy thing to do with my WHS, but this is obviously a much more comprehensive OS so I'm a bit out of my league here.  What I would do is a fresh install, then image the computer so that when it needed to be "refreshed" I could simply restore that initial install and go from there.

Where is the option to lock or unlock a backup?

Thank you for your help!!

-Matt
    • osquest1488993265
      By osquest1488993265
      There's a discussion about backing up Windows RT going on over at the Home Server Show forums. While we probably don't want a lot of cross-posting this seems like a perfect topic for this forum.

For myself,
      I don't plan to have too much that needs backing up directly from the Surface RT. I'll use Skydrive whenever possible and most other apps that interest me (based on my iPad) already have a sharing/cloud component or don't have any data. Apps themselves will be in the store. That leaves just settings and any apps that have all their data local.

Anyone else considered backups?
    • RobWu
      By RobWu
      Hi all,

Maybe a silly question, but can you do a full restore of a pc, but on a new (and different sized) disk?

I have one pc that has a failing disk, and I can go the clone(zilla) disk to disk route to move the data over, and resize it to the new size.
      But I was wondering if it's possible to use the USB restore stick in a way that you can do the same?
      I cannot seem to find any good info on this online.

If not, this would be a nice addition to the restore tools... ;-)

cheers!

rob