RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trouble Transferring MTS files

Dude

I am experiencing a very strange problem and am seeking help from you or your members.

I built my WHS 12 months ago and it has operated flawlessly in that time. Recently my much loved Belkin N1 Router gave up the ghost and has now been replaced with a NetGear WNDR3700 Router.

The problem occurs When I try to transfer 14.4 gig of video from an SD card to my WHS video folder, these are HD video in the MTS format.

It keeps failing with Network outages (or so it claimed), message is "There is a problem accessing \\Dudeserver\videos. (Yet I can access this folder through explorer)

So I thought maybe there's a timing issue between the SD card and server calls, so I copied all the files from the SD card onto my local machine, this all happened without incident.

Then I attempted to transfer the files from the Sata2 HD in my local machine (where I'd just stored the video)to the WHS video folder, same problem. It seems to work OK if you just copy file by file but there are 270.

I thought perhaps there was a problem with the cabling its a 1Gig Lan, so I bought a Cat6 cable to go between the machines and the router, same problem.

Next I decided to do a manual back-up of my primary PC. When that completed I checked and all the files where in the back-up, so WHS was able to access the files OK.

Next I opened the back-up and when I went to restore the files from the back-up into the video folder I experienced the same problem

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• pcdoc

• Dude

• jmwills

Well there is rarely a thing as a coincidence. I have seen a similar problem before and it was related to networking. Can you borrow a switch or another router and see if that resolves the problem. Not being a huge fan of Netgear, I am guessing it is a firewall or other setting. I would first use a standard switch and disconnect the router and see what happens.

Others on here have been less than pleased with the NetGear WNDR3700 Router. I don't know the exact reason people don't like the NetGear. Many have found that using a switch to connect all your wired equipment with a connection from the switch to the router and not using the ports on the router seems to fix a lot of problems. The switches are able to do all the traffic control once the router assigns the DHCP addresses.

I had the same problem and my research at the time revealed that it was an issue with the "landing zone". Something to do that it limits the size of file that can be written to it. I forgot the max size but I tested just below it and just above it and the file below transferred fine. I didn't really understand the technical reason behind it so I can't offer anything else.

I was using the mts file as well when I had my problems.

Yes, it was removed after power pack 1 (I think).

Dude,

In the event that you have an old version, what size is your OS drive and how much free space?

Landing zone was an issue with the early versions of WHS v1. It was removed later wasn't it?

Dude,

In the event that you have an old version, what size is your OS drive and how much free space?

My problem was in the spring this year so definitely on the recent power pack. I will have to try to find the response for exact details. I will try to after the hollidays. This discussion wan on the connect site I believe so I have to believe the guy knew what he is talking about. I ended up splitting it into two smaller files and no problems putting it on the server after that.

Please let us know if you try again and still see a problem. I don't think it was a landing zone issue as MS eliminated it during one of the updates. The person on Connect was likely referring to the first release of WHS.

Dude,

I have the operating system on a 1TB drive which is 52% free, I am also using Power Pack 3 and have all system updates applied. I'm certain its not a network problem its appears to be a compatability problem with the shared folders. I have duplication turned on. WHS successfully backed up the 270+MTS files (off my PC) however when I tried to restore the files from the back-up on the WHS to the Video shared drive it failed (this is all taking place within WHS). I was able to fully restore all the MTS files from the WHS back onto my PC within 7 minutes, no problems.

This is a stretch but how many drives do you have? Also how much free space is on the rest of the drives. One "possible" issue is if you have duplication on is how much free space is on the rest of the system. Remember that duplication has to have the proper free space on both drives to work correctly. You might try to turn off duplication, copy the files, then turn it back on. It might be a space allocation issue. It's a stretch but worth a try.