RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Non-HPE SSD compability

sx3

Hi,

I recently noticed that running a HPE server limits your choises regarding HDD and SSD to HPE branded ones to get full functionality.

This was quite disapointing to discover since the HPE branded ones costs an arm and a leg for a homeserver.

This seems to be true for gen 8 and above.

I searched around the web for some compability list, however all the threads I find on forums suggest going HPE branded. Bummer.

However I managed to stumble over a XLS file named "HPE and Intel SSD decoder", the XLS original author is Richard Slyfield. According to google searches he seem to be server options category manager for EMEA at HPE. So the document seem to be legit.

The XLS document was found here:

www.hpe.azlan.com%2FPageFiles%2F8601%2FHPE%20and%20Intel%20SSD%20Decoder.xlsx

I think the compability issues consists in hot-swap cages and SMART functions to control the LED's and stuff. There might more to the story than just putting one of theese in the Proliant, perhaps HPE loads custom firmware to the SSD's?

I found some HPE part numbers for SSD's in this decoding list that corresponds with the ones for ML150 gen9 (which is the server I have), not sure if I dare to pull the trigger though!

I just wanted to share this and get your opinion of using non-HP SSD's in Proliant servers!

Edited by sx3

I have run HP servers for years and have never used HPE branded drives. I have never had any functionality issues. In conversations with HPE, they expect people buying HPE MicroServer-ML10 family- ML30 for home use, will use non-HPE branded drives. The one situation where having all HPE components is required is if you are on an HPE service contract. As you move up into enterprise servers and applications, there may be a requirement for HPE components to support advanced features. That is not to say these things will not work with other components, but if you are looking for HPE support, you would need to deploy it the way HPE tested it. This is not just an HPE thing, Dell and Lenovo have similar requirements/recommendations.
In your ML150 Gen9 are you using a HPE SmartArray controller? What OS are you running?

From what I read on forums people have had various experience with gen8 and above. Mostly DL series and ML350. As you stated thoose aren't aimed for the homeserver market as the ML10 and ML30.

The problems that may occour is that ILO don't read correct temperatures, thinking the discs are hot and run the fans att 100%.

And the pre-crash warnings not functioning. My guess is that this occours using an array controller in combination with hot swap cages, But I could be wrong!

My ML150 is new to me, got it on Thursdapy last week and is the successor to my Microserver. The config of the server is planned to be similar to what we discussed in my RAID thread:

Only difference is that I want to run the SSD hosting all the VM's in a Raid-1 aswell. Since the ML150 have onboard of 2 SAS connectors I don't think I would need the 9207 in this setup, but perhaps a proper HW Raid controller for the SSD's. Was looking at HP P440, but the prce is quite hefty and using non-HP SSD's and having a system that might show errors since day one isn't really a fun option.

The first SSD's that came to mind was Samsung 850 Evo, consumer grade SSD's. However I might be better off with Data center grade SSD's such as Intel DC Sxxxx, and the chanses for thoose to work properly are greater?

Likely, this will be a process of trial and error. You will need to find other users with the same server that are using non- HPE brand drives. Compatibility is not just the manufacturer of the drive it is the firmware as well.