RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Blink Camera and SmartThings Access

Dave

Just got a wild email from Blink

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 4.03.13 PM.png

Especially alarming is that we should change our password?  I think we need a little more info than this.  I've emailed RBoy Apps which is what I used to get access to my Blink cameras from SmartThings.

I love the Blink cameras and they had a really good day today with the doorbell announcement for $99 but I think I deserve a little more information than what is in this email.  Both from RBoy and Blink.

cskenney

I have a couple theories.

1. Blink has plans to start offering premium services that SmartThings offers for free. So they have to cut off ST.
2. Password change may be necessary to stop some 3rd party apps from connecting to Blink. The password change is just a smart think to do if you Blink password is held elsewhere.
3. This isn’t even in their press releases and no advanced warning. Something definitely seems odd. It makes you wonder if there is a vulnerability that was found between the ST integration and Blink and the easiest thing to do is shut off the vulnerability by removing the access.

There are other theories but they involve tin hats and government spies.

Dave

Well, I put on my tin hat and removed the link immediately!  I hope it's Option 1 but I didn't want to take chances.  That RBoy app had OATH privileges in ST so I killed it.  I was also running another RBoy SmartApp that was using OATH and I killed it too.   Then did a password reset for the Blink cameras.

The doorbell landing this morning and now this?  Something stinks and I want to know what it is!!!  Otherwise, I'lll beat them up at CES.  Blink is still a "buy" in my books though.

Dave

Update from Blink:

“We are sorry to inform but as you may have read on the SmartThings Forum we have decided to temporarily continue support for the latest version of the “RBoy” 3rd party integration while we investigate sustainable & secure alternatives for the SmartThings community using Blink. We intend to have an update within the next few weeks.”

There seems to be a lot of confusion due to the word "continue" which I'm sure was meant to be "discontinue."  The other word to note is "temporarily."  Hopefully that means they have something in the pipeline but there are a lot of angry people on the ST forum.

cskenney

They seem to be blaming Rboy app but I am pretty sure that there is a vulnerability in the Blink API (or whatever they use) to allow 3rd party access. They should just admit it there is a vulnerability. Instead it appears they are shutting off the access while they figure out how to close the hole.

Dave

Update 2:

Seems RBoy is in the dark. Here is what they told me.

"We are currently working with Blink to get more details behind their decision to discontinue the SmartThings integration and the possible alternatives.”

Here is what it looks like in the ST forums. This is a mess for Blink.

"Yay! Kudos to Amazon.

I had purchased two of these cameras in September from Amazon. I wrote them an email this afternoon and they just refunded me the entire amount and asked me to

"…donate or dispose of it–whichever option is most appropriate and convenient… "

This morning’s email from Blink was extremely upsetting to me. Mine are going in the trash. Good riddance to bad rubbish"

Dave

Blink is taking returns for the last 12 months if you pay for shipping. Spotty responses from Blink on this issue but RBoy has been in contact with me and several other paying customers. The dev has encouraged all to contact.Blunk and voice displeasure with the situation.

GavinCampbell

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Well that explains it!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/12/21/maker-blink-home-security-cameras-bought-amazon/xQ7TbzYxowUkZ1YsqwQedL/story.html

Amazon buys a wirefree camera and a new doorbell. Interesting.

Make a lot of sense now.  Explains why they had to keep quiet I guess.  We will probably see an official message from them soon now.