RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scruffters

RAID cards in the Gen10

schoondoggy
Hmm - even in Legacy, the P420 doesn't show up in the BIOS boot menu.

You can see the card during POST but once initialized, you can't even press F8 for the ACU on the card - you can just read there's 1 logical drive (visible for sub 1 second) and then the POST moves onto the Broadcom NICs.

Chucked in a spare SSD on Port 5 (which couldn't be found to start with - seems it's disabled unless the 8087 port is also connected on the motherboard) and quickly installed 2012 R2.  Flashed the P420 to FW 8.2x but still no sign of it as a bootable device.

[mention=3464]schoondoggy[/mention] - did you boot off the P222?  Or was the OS boot drive on P5 or another controller?
I did not boot from the P222. I booted from a SSD on port 5 or it may have been a PCIe mSATA card I was working with on the MS Gen10. I used the offline SSA to configure the arrays on the P222. After boot I used SSA in Windows.

Harpoon

I did not boot from the P222. I booted from a SSD on port 5 or it may have been a PCIe mSATA card I was working with on the MS Gen10. I used the offline SSA to configure the arrays on the P222. After boot I used SSA in Windows.

Thank you.  BIOS options are limited, so don't think I've got a lot left to try to get the P420 as the boot controller.  Hmm.

Harpoon

So I've gone with plan B - ESXi 6.5 install on USB stick in the internal port (in UEFI mode).

P420 shows up fine (I built my ESXi installer using the HPE custom ISO) and I've just created a VMFS datastore on mirrored MX500 SSDs connected to it.

I remember going through an USB ESXi install on an ML115 G5 with an Opteron CPU 7 or 8 years ago for a small lab at work.