RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID cards in the Gen10

scruffters

Hello gang,

I've had a look and it looks as though nobody can get the Gen10 working with an add in RAID.

Am I reading that right?

Ideally I'd like to stick an LSI controller in one of these, am I being too optimistic?

Edited by scruffters

Most issues I have seen relate to HP RAID controllers like P222 not working. At some point I did put a LSI controller in it running as a HBA, IT mode, it worked. What type of LSI controller were you looking at using and what RAID level?

Thanks schoon.

I'd be running something like a 9260 or 9361, likely in RAID5.

I've used the Gen8 for small deployments for a number of years. The P222 integration was always excellent and made storage health very obvious for the end user. I can't get the performance my workload needs from ZFS or MD, so basically in need of a small chassis that supports a real RAID.

The lack of iLO is a worry, but thats not the main issue.

Seeing as we had a report of the P410 working I'm going to give it another try.  Maybe putting BIOS into legacy mode will work and I'll see if there's a firmware update for mine.

• 2 weeks later...

OK,,,, I found my inventory of LSI cards. Unfortunately, I did not have a 9260, but I do have a 9240. The problem with the 9240 or 9260 is the physical connection. They have their ports near the bracket and the chassis blocks the SFF-8087 connections. The picture below is a HP/LSI HBA. To fit in a MS Gen10 the RAID card needs to have the port on the far end of the card:

20170612_094748.jpg

Physically, a 9361 should fit, but you would need a cable to convert SFF-8643 to SFF-8087.

A 9261 should fit and would not require a cable converter.

• Thanks 1