RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Urgent help needed - won't boot

chipxtreme

I upgraded the cpu in my server to 1265L V2 and the bigger heatsink last week. I had used silver paste on the previous cpu and when I removed the cpu spilt some right at the bottom near the memory connector. I cleaned up everything as best you can see and since I took the attached photo i've cleaned it a bit better and you can hardly tell, as far as i'm aware nothing is shorting.

I mainly the box as a plex server, it has 2 8tb drives as raid 1 and a 4tb drive in bay 3 as well as an SSD plugged into sata port. It has 2 crucial 8GB memory sticks.

When I put everthing together it was working fine. I did notice while watching stuff on plex it would randomly stop playing, but pressing play again set it back off.

However yesterday I was logged into it remotely (windows 10 using teamviewer) and it kept complaining about writing to the disk. I powered down and switched it back on, but now all it does is get to 90% at then the fan ramps up, you get two clicks then it slows down, then just repeats this forever.

Help!!??

Photo of motherboard

ilo.jpg

Edited by chipxtreme
submitted by mistake

Checked iLO event log, nothing stands out to me?

iLO event log

I have noticed this in the IM Log which is dated 12/12/2017 so around the time I switched out the processor. I've since switched the processor back out to the i5-2390t, which is doing exactly the same thing as the xeon.

POST Information: Processor 1, DIMM 2 could not be authenticated as genuine HP SmartMemory. Enhanced and extended HP SmartMemory features will not be active.
POST Information: Processor 1, DIMM 1 could not be authenticated as genuine HP SmartMemory. Enhanced and extended HP SmartMemory features will not be active.
Edited by chipxtreme

No it doesn't reboot, it just stays there at 90%, the fan goes fast then slow and you hear 2 clicks then, the fan, then the clicks, etc etc.

Worst case scenario will I be able to recover my 12TB of movies off the drives?