RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

RAM Expansion for Synology DS218+ 4GB 1866

itGeeks

Good luck, Let us all know if it works. Synology is out of there mind for what they want to charge for memory like all there hardware. What are you using this box for?

Dave

I forgot to order it yesterday.  Got it ordered but doesn't arrive until Dec 28th!  I'll get a video on the upgrade and more when I get the box settled.  I'm going to run an instance of Windows 10 on the box with their new beta of Virtual Machine Manager.  I'll put a screen capture of it below.  It won't run unless you beef up the RAM so I'll just have to wait!  I'm hoping to play with some of Synology's VMM boxes at CES!

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 12.59.58 PM.png

itGeeks

Thanks for the update. You know Dave upto about 6 months ago I was wondering y anyone would want to run a VM on a NAS. In the past if someone stated they wanted a NAS and wanted to run VM's I had no choice but to recommend QNAP even though I am a die hard Synology NAS user. Now that Synology also offers native support for running VM's this is a big game changer and we no longer need to recommend QNAP for this. Synology is leaps ahead of QNAP in my humble opinion (hardware aside). QNAP OS always looks like its 3rd world to me and in beta, Its been said its very Android like and though I am an Android smart phone user I don't like it at all.

Anyway off my rant. I had a chance to try this on my DS1815+ before I just sold it and it worked good for the most part though I did have a problem opening the Windows 10 VM in a web browser. If you opened it in a web browser the desktop was cropped and not full-screen know mater what browsed I used, I could RDP into the VM and it was fine. Now that this is out of beta maybe its fixed. I won't be able to test it till my new 12 bay Norco case gets here the end of Jan 2018. Right now I am running XPenology on a Supermicro 1U server with two 6TB drives in a RAID 0 for max amount of storage. Before anyone flames me for this I no the risk of this and trust me I have both local and off-site backups of my data. RAID 0 is simply a temp situation y I wait for my new case and reinstall my four WD 6TB red drives in a RAID 6.

Dave what are you planning on running on this Windows 10 VM?

Are you going to install the VM on SSD or spinners? I had installed VM manager on 1 SSD but I don't know how much faster it was over a spinning drive under the Synology DSM.

Edited by itGeeks