RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Ikon-TNG

Best Wi-Fi for a large restaurant?

SpivR

Never saw an answer about the actual size of the restaurant.

I would guess it is large, but not huge.  Any solution with multiple access points hardwired on Ethernet backbone is probably going to be able to do the job.

Mesh, with wired backhaul, might be a little more elegant for roaming, but I would be surprised if roaming (versus just coverage) is the real issue.

Enterprise solutions (Rukus, Cisco, etc.) are probably overkill unless you want total management/control.

Mid-range solutions (Ubiquity) are probably best balance of functionality-management-price.

Best optimization of price/features would be to use a modern mesh (Eero or competitors like the cheaper TP-link) in bridge mode with an existing or your favorite router doing the "heavy lifting".

Ikon-TNG

I still don't know the actual size of the restaurant but, by pure chance, I just talked to my son. He says the new router has improved things quite a bit. Basically, they've been able to get enough WiFi coverage that they can now dedicate 1 of their 2 routers for management use and the other for customers. This has led to improved performance for both. So, for now, they're happy.

Trig0r

A new router might just have been on a different channel.

You need to have a walk around with a WiFi sniffer and see what is in the area.

Ikon-TNG

Perhaps. But, given that I'm 3,000 miles away from the restaurant, I don't think I'll be doing a walk around any time soon :)

ShadowPeo
12 hours ago, Ikon-TNG said:

Perhaps. But, given that I'm 3,000 miles away from the restaurant, I don't think I'll be doing a walk around any time soon :)

Start of an expensive FIFO IT consultant career I think

Trig0r

I dunno, you make a suggestion and just get excuses back :D

• Like 1

Ikon-TNG
7 hours ago, Trig0r said:

I dunno, you make a suggestion and just get excuses back :D

Excellent point. I guess I'll get my backpack loaded up and start walking. If I manage 10 mi/day I should be there sometime around next October :D:D:huh:

itGeeks

Never saw an answer about the make and model of the new wireless router they used?

Ikon-TNG

I don't recall for certain. My son held up the box when I was talking to him on Skype, so I could see it. From what I recall, I think it's a D-Link DIR-882.