RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Drauka

Esata and USB 3 questions

Drauka

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I only signed u because of this post 

and it gave me hop maybe Joe_Miner could have the answers i need.

So I am running windows 8.164bit home and have a GA-990fxa-ud3 R4 with F3 bios and the motherboard is from Gigabyte.

I have had it for several years but had a problem that was virus related.

I had to have windows 8.1 reinstalled as a virus got past my system protection and now i have some trouble.

I have 2 esata ports on the mobo and they each had 1 4 bay unit each and were working fine before i had to reinstall windows (store reinstalled).

But now the ports do not work like before and only see 1 drive per 4 bay unit instead of 4 like before.
The units do not have drivers and were plug and play but for some reason I cant get them to work on esata correctly.

I moved them to USB 3 ports so I could access my data until I can figure out the issues.

I installed the AHCI drivers from dvd but they did nothing to fix the issues.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there some setting that could be changed in the bios to make it work?

I was told by shop the cleared cmos and set defaults so I do not know what old settings were.

while I was looking thru Bios there is an OS setting and it is set to other, but while looking at it i notice it has a Windows 8 setting.

This brings me to question two.

2) Can I safely switch that setting without reinstalling windows and could that be the issue?

gigabyte support simply cant tell me I have spent hours on phone with them since my crash a month or so ago.

Also if it is safe to switch would that change how my software sees windows. i have adobe software and others that require activation and deactivation and dont want to screw my software up.

3) I notice that on AMD website there are much newer AHCI Drivers for my mobo that are not on gigabyte drivers section for my mobo.

gigabyte has an old driver in there section and i have installed it as per gigabyte support and it did not help.

3A) So my question is would it be safe to install the latest drives directly from AMD for my Chipset drivers?

3B) Would I need to reinstall windows if i wanted to try them?

3C) If the drivers did not help how could i go back to other drivers? Would i simply do a system restore?

Before next question I have more info.

The esata ports are not the only problem my usb 3 ports wont allow my hotswap docking bays to format sdd's and HDD's they fail.
Yet if i move to usb 2 they work fine and I can format with no problem.

And the usb 3 ports work fine except for formatting drives they can read and write to existing drives fine.

Because the units worked before i assume it is a driver issue and that the esata port issues and the usb 3 issues are tide together.

4) Could this issue for USB 3 be a wrong bios setting or is it more likely to be a driver issue?

That's it for my questions for now but i have more info.

I have been posting on many sites trying to get answers and help/fix so here are some of my posts on other sites and there are pictures on some sites.

Site: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt/24224-w8-1-x64-format-issue-hdds-works-usb-dvd-blu-ray-discs.html#post201345

Site: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/windows-81-and-usb-3-docking-bay-device/4e74862c-2091-4b2e-851b-bc21ded094ea?tm=1511807307365&auth=1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Drauka

Drauka

Hello,

I think I may have found out the issue with everything but don't know if it is safe to fix the issue.
After speaking to the company who made my system (not the reinstall company) they found a tech who remembers how their default bios settings were.
There is a setting in my bios for windows version, right now it shows as other but the company says it needs to be set to Windows 8 or 8.1 in the bios to make all features work correctly.

What they could not tell me is if i change the bios OS setting from other os to Windows 8 setting is if I would have to reinstall windows again.
They said they are unsure if it would screw up current windows sdd settings and they say even if i switched back to other os setting if it did not work that it still might not be able to boot again.

So as of now my question is would it be safe to switch it?
As the tech said the setting needs to be set to Windows 8 in bios to get the esata and the usb 3 ports working correctly.

If you or anyone knows please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Drauka

Edited by Drauka
mistake

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Unfortunately I can't give you an answer but that is a tough problem to have.

Drauka

Hello ImTheTypeOfGuy,

Thanks for the reply to my issue, i really appreciate it.

I had to reinstall windows many times and really dont want to do that again.

I got a hint from microsoft who told me to clone my drive c: just in case it does screw up windows then i can simply clone the backup and go back to working.

I do have a couple more questions. So i have 2 identical drives the drive c: in my system I am trying to fix and another drive c: that is infected with bad viruses. (The bad drive is not installed). Now my question is, I have a hot swap docking bay on my system and lets say i want to format the bad drive.

Would it be safe to plug the bad drive c: into the docking bay so it shows up on the good system so i can format it?

Or could the virus(s) jump to the clean system?

My docking bay has 2 ports in it and a clone feature, If i plugged the drives into the bay and hit clone would it be safe, or could the virus jump to the clean drive before i hit the clone button?

Thanks in advance.

Drauka

Have a Fantastic Christmas / Holiday Season

ImTheTypeOfGuy

As long as you do not try to access the drive there is minimal risk putting it in the swappable bay and formatting it. I would do a full format just for good measure but the quick format will work.

Drauka
7 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

In the manual there are references to configuring the eSATA ports with the Marvell software app on page 50 and 65:

http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-990fxa-ud3_v.4.0_e.pdf

Hello schoondoggy,

Thanks for responding to my post, i really appreciate it.

I checked settings for page 50 and they are set for AHCI on that section.

My 4 bay units on esata each still only show 1 drive each.

Unless to get them working I have to set them to IDE which I find unlikely thou i really dont know as that is way beyond my knowledge.

As for page 65 info I am not using raid on system.

But the setting for OS will be changed in the new year after I do a total clone of C: drive just to be safe.

Thanks again for the help.

Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday Season

Drauka

Drauka
On 12/15/2017 at 9:15 AM, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

As long as you do not try to access the drive there is minimal risk putting it in the swappable bay and formatting it. I would do a full format just for good measure but the quick format will work.

Hello,

Ok Thanks I'll give it a shot, I was just worried about the virus and if the system would go nuts seeing 2 c: drives.

I wont do it till after Christmas and after I make a full clone of the good c: drive.

Thanks for the help.

Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday Season

Drauka

Edited by Drauka
fixed spelling

Joe_Miner

I have no experience with that Gigabyte board so I can't be of use to this problem beyond reading the Gigabyte manual that Schoondoggy referenced.  Good luck.

Be sure that all of your critical data is backed up before making changes.  It may be prudent to backup/clone your OS drive before hand also.

Drauka
5 hours ago, Joe_Miner said:

I have no experience with that Gigabyte board so I can't be of use to this problem beyond reading the Gigabyte manual that Schoondoggy referenced.  Good luck.

Be sure that all of your critical data is backed up before making changes.  It may be prudent to backup/clone your OS drive before hand also.

Hello Joe_Miner,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I have a quick followup question.

I have 2 identical drives one in system that I am on now and 1 I took out of system as it had a bad virus that could not be removed or even found by my software. So it is the old drive c:.

Now my question is if i boot my system and plug the old virus infected drive into my hotswap docking bay to format it.

Would that be safe?

Or if I removed my current drive and plugged both drives into my same docking bay (its 2 slots) and I hit the clone button would that be safe or could the virus somehow manage to migrate to the good drive before I hit clone button?

I want to clone my current working drive to my old infected drive but want to make sure virus does not jump to good drive.

Thanks in advance

Drauka