RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD RE4 drives fails

Sp1r3d

Hi everyone!

In the end of November I got a strange situation: suddenly my smart-TV stopped playing anything from HMS via DLNA. After checking I was found that storage disk (HP P410i, 4x1TB DW RE4 in RAID5) had gone from OS. SSA shows logical disk failed, but all the drives are OK. I was enabled logical drive in SSA and re scan disks in OS, OS recognized it and everything goes fine. But after some days situation repeated. Re-enabling logical disk helped again but some hours later it failed again... I was done a backup of important data and started to experiment. During LD (logical drive) failed in SSA it looks like disks failed randomly: 1-st, 4-th, little later they became OK, but 2-nd, 3-rd went off... and so on. By the way I was found a strange sound from Microserver: it looks like some drives can`t spin up. MS attached to AC via power meter so I can see that power consumption going up and down at that moments. "WTF?!?" Spending some hours trying to make disks alive I was detached controllers and that I found is: it`s a horror! I tried to clean contact using eraser and degrease with alcohol but no luck. I have some WD RE3 drives and they looks much more healthy even they 3 year older than RE4... Aurghrgh!!!

P.S. RE4 disks are from retired storage shelf, I mean they are was used intensively in past.

WD_RE4_01.jpg

WD_RE4_02.jpg

Are the photos trying to point out the tarnish on the little 'pads'? If so, I can pass on a little 'trick' my father taught me: if they were giving him trouble, he used to apply a little bit of solder to contacts like these. He said he tried it as a last resort on one circuit board, because he would have had to throw it out otherwise. To his surprise, it worked really well, so he kept doing it when needed. I remember it because he did it to one of mine one time. I don't even remember what it was, but it worked, so I was happy.

Ikon-TNG, thanks for advise.

But it looks like a problem is not in disks, but HP P410i... Today i was found that SSA reported about connectivity problem with controller: no any drive is available in SSA (physical/logical).

I`m sad.

Latest news: recently I was moved mini-SAS cable from port #1 to port #2 of P410 and inserted back WD-drives with "failed" RAID5. SSA detected drives and array on it, but one of drives was on port #1 bay 2 (!?!). I had deleted array and recreated it. After this server was rebooted and RAID5 seems like alive: all data stays and everything work fine.

:rolleyes: