RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

b120i Poor Disk Performance in ESXi?

jjbrunton

I'm pretty disappointed after finally spending the time in getting the server in a state where I thought it would be a little easier to manage.

I've installed ESXi 6.5U1 and downgraded the HP driver down to .88 (which improved things a bit) but VMs are still very sluggish. I don't ever see VMs go above 50-60mb/s read or write when I know the individual hard drives in the array can achieve more than double that.

I currently have:

2TB x 1 - Raid 0
3TB x 3 - Raid 0

The VMs are all stored on the 2TB drive with only really a single one of them doing serious I/O work, this single VM is doing a bunch of copying and converting.

I've been reading around and it appears that the b120i causes a bunch of problems in any sort of use above normal, what are my options without going to a full blown raid card? Should I just use the hard drives individually and work around not being able to do RAID 0, I believe you can span datastores across disks (yes, yes I know I will lose the data if a hdd goes down).

The server performed so much better when I was running Server 2012 as the host OS with Hyper-V underneath it.

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 09.00.07.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 09.02.34.png

Edited by jjbrunton

I would highly recommend that you boot ESXi from a USB drive, run your VM's from the SSD and test your performance then. What brand/model are the 2TB and 3TB drives?

1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

I would highly recommend that you boot ESXi from a USB drive, run your VM's from the SSD and test your performance then. What brand/model are the 2TB and 3TB drives?

I don't have an SSD in the machine. The drives are:

1x Seagate 3TB BarraCuda

2x DT01ACA300

The above make up roughly 9TB in Raid 0 configuration.

1x HUA722020ALA330 - This is the current VM store.

It's worth highlighting, this same setup worked fine when the drives were presented to Server 2012 as individual Raid 0 arrays (4x Raid0) and used with Storage Spaces.

Edited by jjbrunton

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve read a lot in this and some say 6.5 U1 fixed the issue for then, some say downgrade the driver to .88 (which mostly works) and some downgrade to older versions of ESXI,  others buy new controllers or use raid0 with each drive.

I’m at a stage where I am just thinking of ditching ESXI and trying Proxmox or XenServer as I feel I can never trust the reliability of ESXi on the b120i.