Sign in to follow this  
jjbrunton

Advice on ESXi + Storage Space

jjbrunton

I have a Microserver gen8 running the following disk combo:

2x 3TB

1x 2TB

I intend to add another 3 TB next month.

I currently run Windows Server 2012 as the main OS which allows me to use Storage Spaces to create a large pool of the disks and treat them as a single harddrive. I'm looking for something similar in ESXI. I know that I have the option to use RAID0 but that means that I'll be limited to the smaller disk, this isn't the case in storage spaces.

Is there something similar to storage spaces that I could do to get the disks in a pool for ESXI?

ShadowPeo

Not really looked into ESXi much all of my work is Hyper-V currently but the only storage system I know of on VMWare is vSAN but I do not know anything more about it

mattb75

You should be able to present each hard drive as a new datastore in ESXi then create virtual hard drives on each Datastore. Within your virtualised Windows 2012 bring the drives online and create the storage space in the same way as normal.

I presume you’ve got a backup strategy in place for your 10TB+ of data?

jjbrunton

Cheers mattb75, that makes sense.

I don't have a backup strategy in place for the bulk of the data, no. This setup is a media server so apart from the actual OS configuration and some other bits (which are backed up), the content of the server isn't really important and can be replaced.

mattb75

Fair enough! I’m similar myself, I just replicate the files I need locally onto another disk then offload important files to Amazon S3 and OneDrive (as well as using Google Photos and iCloud to cover mobile photo backups until they can be pushed up to S3.

Are you putting another drive in for your OS image? I’d go for a smaller SSD if you can to get the best out of ESXi if you can.

ShadowPeo

Or if the server has internal USB can go the USB drive route and not need an OS disk at all :P

mattb75

Definitely put the ESXi install onto a USB!!

Was thinking more about his Windows 2012 OS image being on an SSD, I’ve never tried putting VM’s onto the same USB as the ESXi OS - not sure it gives the option to create a Datastore on the same USB does it?

jjbrunton
On 05/12/2017 at 6:40 AM, mattb75 said:

Definitely put the ESXi install onto a USB!!

Was thinking more about his Windows 2012 OS image being on an SSD, I’ve never tried putting VM’s onto the same USB as the ESXi OS - not sure it gives the option to create a Datastore on the same USB does it?

I've got a dedicated disk for the OS installs for the various VMs. It is a spinning disk though - surely that's enough?

mattb75

Spinning drives are fine, but if you are running multiple VM’s from the one drive you’ll see some heavy disk queuing if you’re not careful. I started with a few VM’s on a standard drive and noticed performance issues particularly on first startup of a new VM or installing new apps / features. As soon as I moved to an SSD the different was noticeable.