RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DE question for Business app

CablDeViL

With all this talk about a problem with Vail and De with Enterprise server apps I had to rethink my position here at work.

We have an estimating program where all the client computers connect to a shared drive that has the parts database and graphics on it. The program runs from the client and connects to the share for the parts information needed. (up to 5 clients at a time)

I was going to move this share off my main PC and onto the HP WHS but I cant afford data corruption. Would our scenario fall into the corruption issue (I dont think so but I am getting worried)

Thank You

CD

With all this talk about a problem with Vail and De with Enterprise server apps I had to rethink my position here at work.

We have an estimating program where all the client computers connect to a shared drive that has the parts database and graphics on it. The program runs from the client and connects to the share for the parts information needed. (up to 5 clients at a time)

I was going to move this share off my main PC and onto the HP WHS but I cant afford data corruption. Would our scenario fall into the corruption issue (I dont think so but I am getting worried)

Thank You

CD

Personally, I'd avoid putting databases on DE-volumes.. Doesn't sound like a good idea..

I wouldn't worry about corruption as much as the WHS isn't the fastest database/file server for business use. I'd use it over a Desktop OS though. I'm guessing there's not the $$ for Small Business Server?

Personally, I'd avoid putting databases on DE-volumes.. Doesn't sound like a good idea..

If your WHS system drive is large enough for your database, you could consider adding the folder to the d:\folders folder and share it on your network the traditional way through a RDC. You won't be adding it the normal WHS way as through the WHS Shares in the Console as a shared folder. This is where I put my SQL & SharePoint databases. This way these folders are not part of DE.

UPDATE: Sorry I was thinking WHS v1 here. Vail will become DE-less so I would not recommend using the beta. I don't know when it will stop working.

I'd sure like to have this substantiated more. I'm aware of the issues prior to PP1 where it was not recommended to use WHS to host a database but then I could never find anymore detail than that. There are different flavours of DB and I can't accept that all database applications are suspect. I've tested and have been running a database which uses a Pervasive engine without any issues. Integrity tests haven't shown any issues either.

Now, as far as DE is concerned, the only time it duplicates any of the DB files is when there closed - which is the intended operation. In fact, when ever those same DB files have been left open more than 24 hours DE has notified me that it can't duplicate them. Closing them and everything is fine.

I also haven't been able to find any posts reporting issues since PP1 except ones restating the issues pre PP1. I'm taking the necessary precautions just in case but like I said I would really like more details.

Like other things, we all have read various warnings about running apps, RDC'ng into the server and so on but we do it and if done properly there's isn't any issues and I suspect this might be the same with DB.

I'd sure like to have this substantiated more. I'm aware of the issues prior to PP1 where it was not recommended to use WHS to host a database but then I could never find anymore detail than that. There are different flavours of DB and I can't accept that all database applications are suspect. I've tested and have been running a database which uses a Pervasive engine without any issues. Integrity tests haven't shown any issues either.

Now, as far as DE is concerned, the only time it duplicates any of the DB files is when there closed - which is the intended operation. In fact, when ever those same DB files have been left open more than 24 hours DE has notified me that it can't duplicate them. Closing them and everything is fine.

I also haven't been able to find any posts reporting issues since PP1 except ones restating the issues pre PP1. I'm taking the necessary precautions just in case but like I said I would really like more details.

Like other things, we all have read various warnings about running apps, RDC'ng into the server and so on but we do it and if done properly there's isn't any issues and I suspect this might be the same with DB.

You bring up some good points here. They all apply to WHS v1, I missed that in my comment,sorry. CablDevil's post refers to Vail, with the testing of the new 64 bit Server 2008 based changes to DE, Microsoft was not able to garantee database integrity within the time constrainst to deliver the product, so they dropped it.

You bring up some good points here. They all apply to WHS v1, I missed that in my comment,sorry. CablDevil's post refers to Vail, with the testing of the new 64 bit Server 2008 based changes to DE, Microsoft was not able to garantee database integrity within the time constrainst to deliver the product, so they dropped it.

Hey John,

I missed that the original poster was speaking about VAIL. Despite that, if there are any genuine concerns with V1 running DB still I would like to hear them along with whatever supporting references one might know of.

With respect to VAIL I'm more than patient to wait and see what results. Even if MS hadn't removed DE I wouldn't of been upgrading in the next year anyway as V1 is serving my needs quite well. I guess I'll need to be reading posts twice as MS/HP's announcements have certainly taken the spotlight away from the day to day use of WHS IMHO.

Hi - I'm interested in going into this a bit further even at risk of straying off topic. I've a database that I'm looking to migrate over to WHS. Before I go forward - please note that I'm very new to WHS and looking to move from my ad hoc PC backup setup to Vail (If Vail is a significant time off - e.g. Q3 - then I may start with V1).

At the moment I run a simple SQLserver database using networked drives. [backups are ad hoc and I'd look at using WHS to manage this.] However, this needs the server to be up and running and this is one of our standard PCs. So I'm looking at using a "server". Rather than having two severs, I'm looking at the feasibility of installing SQLserver on a WHS platform and using the WHS drive structure to store the database.

Question - can you install other products on the WHS server and have them use the WHS file structure?