RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
KRONZO

gen8 or gen10 as upgrade for n40l

KRONZO

sorry I didn't know where to post this.

Hi again ;)

After my upgrade post with the n40l I have decided to buy another hp micro server but from browsing these forums, I cant figure out if I should get the gen8 or the gen10?

My plan is to have the new one run an Emby server only and let the other one do all the other tasks, i'm planing on buying an ssd for the OS and an 8tb harddisk and then add storage as needed.

info and advice

My current setup is like this on n40l, I have utorrent running and sonarr to download shows and couchpotato to download movies i then have Eventghost to monitor for folder activity to trigger filebot to move and rename files and fetch subtitles and then of course Emby server to acces it all.

I run this under windows 10 pro, simply because i dont know any better!

what would be the smartest way to run all this ?

Edited by Dave
Cleaned up the dual post. All answers were purged as well. Sorry @Trigor. Start over guys.

qianjizhao

I would go for gen8.

Mainly due to iLO and you can use better CPU.

riahc3

Gen8. Without a doubt.

schoondoggy

Comes down to price or value. Gen8 Microservers are hard to find and they are holding their value. The advantage of a Gen8 is iLo, Intelligent Provisioning and a the ability to swap the CPU. The Gen10 is new with a warranty. The x3421 CPU is faster than any stock CPU that came with a factory configured Gen8. On the Gen10 all five SATA ports are 6Gb/s and you can boot from any port.
In general, people that like the N54l/N40l/N36l seem to like the MS Gen10. People that like the MS Gen8 dont seem to like the Gen10.