RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen10 Windows Server Installation / Marvell RAID Drivers

sol

Hello,

I recently got my hands on a HPE Proliant Microserver Gen 10 and was hoping to install Windows Server 2012 on it. This model has a Marvell 88SE9230 SATA Controller and I've set up a mirror of two SATA-disks through the Marvell BIOS but I can't get the Windows setup to detect it. The HPE Support site offers these drivers:

Marvell Storage Utility (MSU)
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1009955119&swItemId=MTX_17d87af242a144cbb3a954352c&swEnvOid=4184

HPE Smart Array Gen10 Controller Driver
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1009955119&swItemId=MTX_5c0322f305a9405dbfef9869e7&swEnvOid=4184

The MSU is supposed to installed after the OS and since we have a Marvell controller the Smart Array drivers don't apply to us. Marvell does have some drivers of their own but none that I've found on their site seems to work. Digging deeper I've found some drivers from other motherboard manufacturers who use the 88SE9230, some of these are actually detected as compatible but still fails in the Windows setup.

So if anyone have experience with running Windows Server on Gen10 I'd appriciate the help. I've been looking at trying to disable the RAID to finish the Windows install to maybe solve this through the MSU instead, but I've found nothing in the BIOS that seems to do that.

I have worked with it, but only with data drives. I have installed the OS on a SSD connected to the 5th SATA port then installed MSU and created RAID1 and RAID10 sets with the 4 drive bays. When I get a chance I will try to install to a RAID1 pair. If you are up for experimenting, I would remove the RAID set you have setup, put one drive in the server and load your OS to that drive, install MSU, add the second drive, try to setup a RAID1 with your boot drive and the second drive. It may format both and kill your OS install or it may just create a mirror and setup a RAID1. What size drives are you using for this RAID1 array?

Hey, thanks for your answer. That sounds like what I was about to try. I've now removed the RAID set and one of the disks, but since its still connected to the Marvell controller I get the same result in the Windows setup. I'll try to get a hold of a SSD-kit/cables so I can connect it to the standalone SATA port and see if that does the trick. Meanwhile I'll try the HPE support, maybe they have something in terms of drivers. The drives are 2TB.

I'll get back with results hopefully.

With no RAID sets on the Marvell, it should just look like a AHCI controller and should not need a driver to load the OS on it. Try changing the BIOS from UEFI to legacy.

I took everything off my MS Gen10 Beta unit. Inserted one 2TB drive. Checked the BIOS to confirm I was in UEFI boot. Booted to a USB stick with Windows 10 install on it and installed to the 2TB drive. Rebooted and all is good. Loaded MSU and shut down server. Inserted second 2TB drive and powered up. Launched MSU in Windows and it can see both drives. Tried to create a RAID1 using both drives, Error due to OS being on one drive, so that answers that.

I have never been able to get into the Marvell BIOS during boot when booting UEFI. I did notice that HPE has an updated BIOS for the Marvell controller:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1009955119&swItemId=MTX_a2d926f8d9a64ebb8368d451a0&swEnvOid=4184

I also need to update my BIOS to the latest production version, hopefully it works on this Beta server.

Hey, nice work trying out the MSU route, I guess that'll save me some time. I'll see what version the Marvell BIOS has, maybe an update is in order. I've created cases with both HPE and Marvell and at this point I'm just awaiting their answer. If nothing else I might have some old HP RAID controllers I can use instead.

I've now installed a HP P410 controller and set up a RAID1 in it. Funnily enough the Windows setup still gives me the same problem, the P410 driver shows up as compatible but when selecting it I get the same "No new device drivers were found" message. I'm going to have to look at the installation media, maybe try with the original DVD instead of a USB-stick or try bundling the drivers with it directly. I suppose the good news is that if I get the HP P410 working I might get the Marvell controller working too since they act the same as far as the Windows setup goes.

Hey-ho,

After making a new bootable USB-stick from the original media the setup worked instantly with both controllers. So if you ever run into this, check your media I guess?

Thanks for the help anyway, I never got a response from either HPE or Marvell so having a place like this helps tremendously.

• Like 1

I installed a P410 and it wouldn't get past post - very strange. Wonder why it works on yours - could you list firmware/revision? It would save me a lot of grief if my P410 could be made to work

Anyway after fully installing Server 2016 and all HP drivers there were no devices with yellow ! in Device Manager but also no Marvell Controller listed so I downloaded the Marvell_MSU_v4.1.0.2031 setup utility from EVGA website as the same chip is used on some of their older FTW boards. After install the Marvell controller shows up in device manager under Windows.

DevMan.PNG

Edited by Scepticalist