RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dynamikspeed

SSD Raid Setup Advice

dynamikspeed

Hi there,

I am looking to get 2x512GB SSDs on a black friday deal with converters.

As i understand i need to put these in slot 1 and 2 run them in Raid 0 so if they are 6Gbps each does that mean they will run at 12Gbps concurrently and also double the read/write speed?

I currently have a 1TB SATA Disk running on b120i Smart controller so will i lose the ESXi i am running on it, Is there a way i can restore it all on the SSD's or better off clean installing?

Can anyone recommend which brand SSDs and specs i should be looking at?

schoondoggy

Did you get SSD's on Black Friday? RAID0 is really fast, but if you lose one drive you lose it all. The first two bays on the MS Gen8 SATA 6Gb/s. Are you booting ESXi from a drive or USB? You should be able to move your VM's off the current drive and bring them back to the new SSD's.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB
    • TakiBot
      By TakiBot
      I've got my hands on a HP N40L.
      Can i use raid 1+0 on my 4 2TB WD RED or only 1 and 0.
      Thanks for the help.
    • rubenbb
      By rubenbb
      Hi all,

I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 upgraded to Xeon E3 1265 v2, 16Gb RAM, SSD 256 Gb on the ODD Port and 2 x 3 TB WD RED disks

In the SSD I have an ESXi 6.5 U2 (HP custom image) version installed (driver downgraded to 5.5.088 from 5.5.102) and the WD Disks are in RAID 1 for datastore of vmware related files

I just bought a HP 410 Raid Controller with 1gb FWBC and battery 

I did read a lot about this subject, I know that isn't possible to be monitored by ILO 4....but I would like if someone can confirm me my thoughts about how to made this migration

1) Plug HP410 on the mobo
      2) Connect Cable used in the disks WD to the lower port of the P410
      3) Connect ODD cable used for the SSD Disk in the upper port of the p410
      4) Turn On microserver and enter in the SSA and check if arrays created in the b120i are visible for the p410
      5) If is OK, restart

Questions:
      - I have that to do something for to boot the SSD that has ESXi installation when boot up server?
      - Driver 5.5.088 hpvsa will see the datastores on the p410 without no action from my side?
      - Must I disable b120i on bios or is possible co-live with the P410

It'll be very apreciated the help 
    • Laris
      By Laris
      Hi all,

Now I share my extreamly mod for your reference

• arefiev.dm
      By arefiev.dm
      Hello! I put P222 on my Gen8 server, but I can not use RAID6. Can someone share the key?