RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trig0r

Burstcoin etc

Trig0r

Has anyone on here looked at using hard drives for mining?

Given I have a box full of drives I'm not using perhaps these could be added to my mining pool..

jcollison

I have been trying SIA and Storj, but not Burst.  Will have to give it a try

Trig0r

Is this sort of thing profitable then?

I don't get how it works and haven't really looked into it, I was on another crypto site and someone mentioned it..

jcollison

Right now the only thing in crypto land that is profitable is mining BTC/ETH or using Nicehash to mine and paid in BTC.  Everything else is just for fun at the moment.  They said that about BTC in the early days, and look at it now.  I don't mine for $$$, but to say up on the technology.  I have made about $80 so far (including energy costs) with Nicehash.

jcollison

Here is some good info on Burstcoin.  I like this guys and his videos.  

Might want to watch this one first - 

jcollison

This video is over a year old and the software setup had changed a little bit.  I used a hardware wallet Qbundle that I downloaded.  Followed the defaults.  The new installer is a bunch easier

Edited by jcollison

Trig0r

Are you solo or pooled on Burst?

jcollison

I am still figuring out the best way to set it all up.  Have tried 2 different machines.  It seems that for plotting, a PC with lots of RAM is best.  So I am on a second PC with 16GB.  Will most likely go with a pool.

Trig0r

How much capacity are you looking at running, I could fire up my old N40L, stick some RAM in it and stick 8Tb in there, maybe another 6tb or so in USB, not sure how profitable it'll be though as I suspect there are people out there (like the guy in the video with 10x5Tb drives and more assorted drives on the desk) running significantly more storage than I can manage..

jcollison

I don't know yet.  Couple TBs maybe