RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How Long does it take for your WHS Console to come up?

whsdude

It takes WHS Console anywhere from 45-60 seconds to launch on my box. WHS is running a 6-yr old single prescott core CPU with 1G ram, with a 100mb network card. Clearly I shouldn't be surprised. I'm curious how long it takes for some of you with nicer boxes. I need something to look forward to. :)

Thanks,

Rob

I have always had this problem too. Plenty of horsepower in my WHS, so I am not sure what is causing it. I will time my main build and the one I have running on my virtual server and see what times I get. It may be this weekend before I get to it since I am in the process of re-doing my main virtual server.

I recently ran a factory reset my EX495. Console usually comes up in 3-4 seconds. I'm using only a few essential addins - Grid Junction, BDBB, Disk Management, Program Launcher, and PD 11. Sometimes it may take as long as 10-15 seconds, but mostly it's up in 3.

I'm glad someone brought this up, because I have the same question plus a few comments. My current system is described in the signature section below. The hard drives currently in use were purchased in early 2008 and installed into a home build system with an AMD processor from circa 2001 (don't recall the model). I use my WHS to backup 4 PCs in my home. I don't do any media streaming, but I do have some shared folders and I do use the remote access to backup small files from work. When I replaced that system with my current one in early 2009, I simply moved the hard drives and did a server reinstall. I bring this up because on the original system and this newer Dell server, my load times for the console and RDP slowly increased to upwards of 45-60 seconds. I have accumulated several addins over the years, and currently am using Auto Exit, AdminiMe, Disk Management, Remote Alert, and Whiist. As a result of a promotion on this website, I purchased and installed PerfectDisk 11 for WHS. After allowing it to do its thing, my load times for RDP and the console greatly decreased. If I have recently opened the console (within a day or so) it loads in about 4-5 seconds. If it has been a few days it may take 10-20 seconds. Also, my pc backup backups run in about 5 hours instead of the 10-12 hours previously needed (I am using a process similar to BDBB that uses TrueCypt and Robocopy to copy over to a NAS). I know some of the guys on this forum don't care much for defragmenters, but PrefectDisk really improved the performance of my old system.

Since I took five drives out, it now comes up in about 4-5 seconds. Before with 12 drives it took about 8-10 seconds. I only have a few addins.

Odd, I thought it was only me!

Mine is variable. Sometimes 5-10 seconds, other times 30 seconds+. It seems random, and occasionaly it won't load at all. When this happens i go into the Desktop and fire up the console from there which seems to fix it. (this is quite rare though)

I do have several add-ins though which I have always assumed to be the reason for the variable load times.

Tranquil WHS with Atom dual core, 2Gb RAM.

Normally about 5-10 seconds (ex470 w/ 2gb RAM and 2 add-ins). Sometimes it doesn't connect the first go-around though, but when I click the arrow again, it goes through almost immediately *shrug*

It's a possibility that demigrator.exe is the culprit when the console takes longer to load. Accordingly, I found and implemented the SysInternals/PsSuspend solution laid out in this post:

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/8335-before-you-post-media-stuttering-playback-issues-performance-irregularities/page__view__findpost__p__96311

I'll test this for awhile to see if I can get my console to be more consistent about opening in a few seconds. I've already tested and confirmed that PsSuspend works with the batch files as written up in this post. I went with PsSuspend over an sc disable command so I wouldn't get a Network Health Notification. That's the word, anyway.

On one of my homeservers it takes about two minutes for the console to load. The other is much quicker, but that's still a fairly new installation.

This is quite interesting. My Acer H.340 has always taken 30 - 45 seconds to come up. I had just put it down to it being Atom powered, but now I'm not sure. When I build my new box I'll have some basis for comparison.