RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 issues after bad weather

SharnThoR

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been back here...

First, my first ever Microserver Gen 8 was stolen out of our house (our whole house got cleaned out). Then I got another Microserver Gen 8 since I loved the previous one so much...we had pretty bad weather last night and now my Gen 8 doesn't want to boot up. It sounds like it's in an infinite boot-up.

I must also add that one of my network switches also popped, but that's in an entirely different room, but also connected to the house's network. Everything else is working perfectly.

I get this blinking red light at the front of the server the whole time and no boot-up that I can see. I cannot see anything on any monitor either as it doesn't get this far it seems. Also, I cannot get onto ILo as it seems the server doesn't get past the first stages once I plug in the power cable... 

With my luck...warranty is past by 2 months!!!!

Please help me out? I have removed the ram, nothing... Removed the HDD's, nothing. Nothing else was installed into the server.

Kind Regards

Add: I removed the ambient temperature sensor at the left side of the server, this didn't work either.

Edited by SharnThoR

Even if the server does not fully boot you should be able to get into iLo. Do you have a network connection on the dedicated iLo port? Are you sure the switch is OK?

Oh dear, that's awful. I hope you had insurance.

I'm wondering about one thing: do you have your devices on UPS? When I inherited my father's gear, it was all connected to UPS. In all, there are 8 UPS units in the house. I probably wouldn't have put them in myself but, now that we've had them for a few years, I wouldn't be without them. It's surprising how often the UPS units bleep briefly when there's a glitch in the power. None of the equipment connected to the UPS' has ever show any evidence of being aware a power glitch occurred, even the TV :)

I did try that...nothing. I removed the network cable from normal eth ports and inserted cable into the ilo port. I removed the faulty router and installed a spare that I had. All other devices work on the network again, but I cannot pick up the server on the network at all.

I tried angry ip scanner, checked dhcp on the router, tried hpilo script...nothing

6 minutes ago, Ikon-TNG said:

Oh dear, that's awful. I hope you had insurance.

I'm wondering about one thing: do you have your devices on UPS? When I inherited my father's gear, it was all connected to UPS. In all, there are 8 UPS units in the house. I probably wouldn't have put them in myself but, now that we've had them for a few years, I wouldn't be without them. It's surprising how often the UPS units bleep briefly when there's a glitch in the power. None of the equipment connected to the UPS' has ever show any evidence of being aware a power glitch occurred, even the TV :)

Yeah, sad indeed. Insurance paid out the first time but I dont know if they’ll pay this out... loads of clauses against lightning.

I dont have any UPS no, but I have 2 surge multiplugs before it reaches my server. From the fact that my router is popped, I’m guessing that’s where the surge came from so no ups would’ve saved me from that

Edited by SharnThoR

3 minutes ago, Ikon-TNG said:

Couldn't you put your router on a UPS?

You can, but what happens when the surge runs theough the telephone line?

Above is what I'd suggest, or whatever the similar is in SA..

I remember eons ago when the chimney of next doors house got hit by lightening, travelled down the phone line to the pole, from the pole to my old mans modem, fraggled his machine, out of his NIC, through the BNC cable, blew my mothers NIC, and from there to my machine, where it defaulted my BIOS lol

On 11/16/2017 at 12:22 AM, Ikon-TNG said:

This might help: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp1500pfclcd/

Here's a clip of a shot of the back:

PFC1500phone.JPG

Thank you for the advice... but it’s a bit late now lol.

So, both switches on the network is working perfectky fine, tested all ports etc and working well. 

There Ilo port light on the gen 8 is on and blinking etc, but I cannot pick it up at all. Not vie DHCP nor with angry io scanner.

What is the default IP range of these Gen 8’s?

11 hours ago, SharnThoR said:

Thank you for the advice... but it’s a bit late now lol.

I understand I'm not the techiest guy, but I don't understand how it's ever too late to install a UPS. Sure, it can't help damage caused by a previous electrical event, but it can help with future ones. To me, having equipment damaged by lightning would be a huge incentive to get protection for any replacement devices.

I'm also aware that even a UPS can't stop absolutely every electrical event. If a lightning bolt directly strikes a power line close to a house, the surge will likely be strong enough to leap across any air gaps or blocks that a UPS can provide and continue on down to devices attached to the UPS. But, from what I've read, that's a very, very low percentage possibility.