RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 storage spaces or raid or stablebit DrivePool

pzjuls

Ok looking for some advice building a new HTPC serve and mining rig and going to chuck 2 x 3 terabyte drives in it to start with and see what i need as i move forward:

Intel Core I5-7500 Kaby Lake

Gigabyte Intel GA-H270-HD3 LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard

HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 1.2V Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 WINDFORCE OC (8GB) Graphics Card PCI Express 3.0
What would be best to pool the drives Windows 10 storage spaces or raid or stablebit DrivePool?

Drivepool, all day, every day..

Allows you to mix drive types (SAS/SATA/USB etc)

Data is stored on an NTFS volume so if a controller dies you can stick the drive in another machine and there's your data, doesn't split files over the array etc.

That's the 2 main reasons, there are others, like being able to duplicate the folders you want and so on, but the short version is getting Drivepool.

Get Drive scanner as well while you are at it, that'll keep an eye on the drives and in the event of a predicted failure will even evacuate data from a failing drive for you...

@pzjuls, far be it from me to offer recommendations. What I can say is my father used DrivePool, and I'm now using it. So far, it seems good. My Windows 10 server now has 4 drive pools. My desktop computer has 1.

Oh, and I've been dealing with Christopher over at Stablebit about Scanner and Drivepool. With Scanner in particular, he says they're working on adding the ability to have Scanner do write testing of disk drive clusters. Christopher says it would give Scanner capabilities similar to Spinrite (a program my father swore by). And Scanner is supposed to work closely with Drivepool.

Edited by Ikon-TNG

5 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Oh yeah, theres also the bit where Chris is an active member on here so you know supports top drawer, theres also a forum deal iirc..

Yeah, I sort of figured that out over the period of a week. I still have no idea why Christopher would call himself @Drashna Jaelre but I finally made the connection. And, heck, my father called himself @ikon, so who am I to complain? :)

Edited by Ikon-TNG