Ikon-TNG

Is Server 2012R2 Essentials too old?

Ikon-TNG

As some of you know, I've been migrating my father's WHS2011 server over to Windows 10. I'd completely forgotten that he has a licence for Server 2012R2 Essentials. He once told me it was the successor to WHS2011, but that he was doing fine with WHS2011 so he wasn't going to upgrade for a while.

Is 2012R2 Essentials too old to consider now? Would any of you consider it for a new home server?

Jason

I’m running WSE12R2 now. See no reason to upgrade to WSE16. Perhaps if they release a WSE16r2.

Jason

I’ve noticed in message forums people have successfully performed in-place upgrades of WSE12R2 OS to WSE16. I’ve considered trying it since I’ve got a solid backup history. Just haven’t done it yet.

Ikon-TNG

I don't know about the in-place upgrade, but I don't have a licence for WSE16 (assuming that stands for Windows Server 2016 Essentials). Amazon tells me it's around $500; too rich for my blood.

nrf

don't worry about having the latest greatest all the time. 2012r2 may be good enough. I'm ok with 2012R2 myself.

In any case latest can be bleeding edge. I've had some oddities with essentials 2016 since the 'fall' update. It can't email me the reports even though its settings are exactly the same as my 2012r2 instance, it tells me one win10 client needs an additional disk added to the backups but for that client it will not let me change the backup settings, the icon doesn't go green on another win10 client because certain services weren't started.... it goes on and on. I prefer not to have the drama.

Edited by nrf

Jason

Nrf, great info. Didn’t realize these issues. Thanks for sharing.

Ikon-TNG

So you're running WSE2012r2 @nrf?

Edited by Ikon-TNG

nrf

not quite, server 2012r2 Standard with the essentials experience "role" thrown on top.

(see my signature for current goodies at the homestead)

Edited by nrf

Ikon-TNG

@nrf OK, now my head hurts. I don't think I even want to know what the difference(s) is/are between WSE2012r2 and WS2012r2 with the Essentials 'role'. :)

I guess my only real question is the same as my original: would I be crazy to install WSE2012r2 instead of Windows 10? What might I gain/lose by doing so?