RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What is this?

ikon

Found interrupt 19 (under the Boot menu in the BIOS). It was Disabled, so I Enabled it. Didn't seem to make any difference. I got to the part in the Windows 10 install where I had to Load Drivers. When I pointed to the drivers I put on a USB stick, it started to load, then crashed. Tried it 3 or 4 times. No go. A post on the Microsoft forum suggested that the drivers won't work in Windows 10. Darn.

However, it said something weird: a guy installed Windows 8.1, loaded the 32 bit Revo drivers, created a boot partition, then rebooted and loaded the 64 bit drivers. At least, that's what I think he said: he admitted his English isn't the best, so I could have it all wrong.

OK, that didn't work. I'm gonna give up on this: it's too far above my pay grade. But it does give me another thought.

If SSD is faster than HDD, and PCIe is faster than SATA, surely you must be able to get an add-in board that allows you to mount an SSD on it and then plug it into a PCIe slot. I did a quick search but didn't find any. I found a lot of something called mSATA and M.2, but they didn't look like they could hold a SATA SSD.

Man, did I open a can of worms! What's with all the different connectors?! It's crazy. How am I supposed to figure out what I can use?

I think I found a board that can hold my SSD: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158437CVF&cm_re=ssd_adapter_card_-m2_-m.2-_-15-158-437CVF-_-Product

I say "I think" because that board has something called a U.2 connector. Zooming in on the picture, it looks like it would work with my Intel 330 SSD, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?

ps. this tech stuff can sure chew up a lot of time. Sheesh.

Okaaaaayyyyy. Hmmmm. Thanks for the article, I think :) I had to read it about 3 times but, if I've got it right, I cannot connect my SATA SSD to a U.2 connector, even though the connectors look the same. Also, it sounds like these 'new' U.2 devices are waaaay fast. Is that about it? :(

• Like 1

Thanks schoondoggy. I've seen a few charts like that on some review sites. I have to admit I haven't looked at them closely, mostly because I'm not very familiar with the categories. But, I have read reviewers comments that M.2 is really fast. I even saw a couple of comments that talked about how using two M.2 SSDs in RAID0 can give "ridiculous" speeds.

So, from what I've seen in the past couple of days, it seems like SATA SSDs are around 2.5 times faster than HDDs on sequential reads, and M.2 SSDs are around 4 times faster than SATA SSDs, making M.2 SSDs are around 10 times faster than HDDs. One site I looked at is http://www.pcgamer.com/hard-drive-vs-ssd-performance/2/

Another thing I've been reading is what some of the reviewers call "real world experience". Now, in the past my father has talked about 'benchmarks' vs every day use, cautioning me that benchmarks don't always match what you experience. Whatever the case, it appears that there has been a pretty dramatic improvement in storage performance since my father passed. I bet he's disappointed he missed it ;)

Thanks nrf. Now don't get me wrong, my father was human, with flaws and idiosyncrasies like everyone else. One was that people often weren't quite sure what to make of him at first sight. He was almost honest to a fault. Some people didn't buy that; I think they thought he must be playing at something. It often took them about 2 years to figure out that what they saw really was who he is. They they became fast friends :)