RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What is this?

ikon

I've been trying to figure out what this thing is for most of the day. I cannot find any documentation for it, in the house or online. My father kept just about everything, if it was tech related, It's pretty odd that there isn't a box, manual, etc. I don't know, maybe someone gave it to him?

Anyway, just now, I had a face-palm moment when I realized I should just ask the people my father would have asked (if he didn't already know, which is very unlikely ;) ). Nevertheless, can you guys help?

WP_000285.jpg

Edited by ikon
  • Like 1

Yeah, was going to say that it looked like an OCZ Revo drive. 

Oh gods... Looks like 1st gen SandForce nand controller on a Silicon Images 3124 bus .......

Thanks guys. So it's a hard drive?? Kinda weird, at least to me. Why is it like an add-in card? Is it faster or something?

In any case, here's the back:

WP_000286.jpg

Yeah, was going to say that it looked like an OCZ Revo drive. 

Oh gods... Looks like 1st gen SandForce nand controller on a Silicon Images 3124 bus .......

I remember him talking about Revo so I think you nailed it. Seems like he had two at one point.
Thanks guys. So it's a hard drive?? Kinda weird, at least to me. Why is it like an add-in card? Is it faster or something?

It is much faster than a regular drive since it is a solid state drive and it is pcie so the connection is faster than a SATA cable too.

Hmmm, so I installed the board in the Windows 10 server, but it wouldn't boot up properly. I did check the BIOS, to be sure that the Intel SSD is still the boot device—it is, so I don't know why it won't boot. Maybe that's why my father wasn't using it any more.

2 hours ago, ikon said:

A solid state drive, yeah.  And it uses PCI-e, so, in theory it would be faster, and use up one less SATA port. 

It's basically a predecessor to M.2 and NVMe.

As for booting from it, you'd need to make sure that "Option ROM", "interrupt 19" or some such was enabled to be able to boot from it. 

2 hours ago, ikon said:

Christopher (:blink:), I recall reading something about using an SSD as some kind of 'cache?' for DrivePool pools? Would this do that?

Yes.  You'd want the "SSD Optimizer", but you'd also want a number of SSDs equal to your duplication level, but I think that was "1", in your case. 

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

7 minutes ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

A solid state drive, yeah.  And it uses PCI-e, so, in theory it would be faster, and use up one less SATA port. 

It's basically a predecessor to M.2 and NVMe.

As for booting from it, you'd need to make sure that "Option ROM", "interrupt 19" or some such was enabled to be able to boot from it.

Oooh, cool tip. I remember seeing something about interrupt 19 in the BIOS but didn't know what it was, so left it alone. I'll have to go check again. Maybe the card is still usable after all.

7 minutes ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Yes.  You'd want the "SSD Optimizer", but you'd also want a number of SSDs equal to your duplication level, but I think that was "1", in your case. 

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

I think you're right. Because of my father's backup system, I don't have duplication turned on for anything in the pools. I have 4 pools now :)