RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Organizing photos for WHS

Joshua B

Hi guys. I'm thinking of moving my 14 gigs of photos that I've taken onto my WHS. This will make it easier for my wife to access from her PC and will allow us both to look at photos on the 50" plasma via our HTPC. My photos are organized nicely in folders, but are not tagged at all. How do you like to organize your photos for storing on your home server and accessing from other computers?

For organizing and lossless rotation, I use ACDSee Pro 2.

What software do you like for photo viewing?

Thanks!

For viewing, Media Center is very nice because it will read metadata and you can show slideshows based on metadata. Note that this metadata has to be put into the file itself (such as how Windows Live Photo Gallery does, but now how Picasa or Photoshop elements keep their metadata in a separate database).

Thanks! I'll try this combination. I've actually wanted to find a use for Windows Live Photo Gallery. Cataloging/tagging sounds like a good use. I like the interface, but haven't used it much due to lossy picture rotation. I've also wanted to find a good use for WMC in which WMC is the best choice for a specific function. Hopefully photo viewing is it!

Organizing photos is such a time drain it drives me crazy. I typically find I have different events on my camera so when I download "Thanksgiving 2010" there could be some Halloween, snow pictures, maybe even some Christmas photos all tagged Thanksgiving. I like the new Live Photo Gallery for face tagging but after I tag what does that get me? I've never tried that fancy face replacing that is on the commercial.

I wish I was better at photo management. I could be but I spend my time here bitching about time rather than organizing!

I use the typical Year and Folder approach.

Thanksgiving

Christmas

Etc.

I used to put the months under each year's folder but that just created one extra click when browsing.

I also use Media Center to play slideshows for family. I usually choose an event by folder and never use tags. There was a time I used tags but mostly date tags. I had an old wireless photo fram that I created a Media Player playlist to connect to it and display any photo taken in the last 30 days. iMate frame i think. Beyond that cool point it was a major PITA.

That Reminds me I still have all that backup space in the google cloud. I need to get picasa on my whs asap, time to start searching for help=)

Organizing photos is such a time drain it drives me crazy. I typically find I have different events on my camera so when I download "Thanksgiving 2010" there could be some Halloween, snow pictures, maybe even some Christmas photos all tagged Thanksgiving. I like the new Live Photo Gallery for face tagging but after I tag what does that get me? I've never tried that fancy face replacing that is on the commercial.

I wish I was better at photo management. I could be but I spend my time here bitching about time rather than organizing!

I use the typical Year and Folder approach.

Thanksgiving

Christmas

Etc.

I used to put the months under each year's folder but that just created one extra click when browsing.

I also use Media Center to play slideshows for family. I usually choose an event by folder and never use tags. There was a time I used tags but mostly date tags. I had an old wireless photo fram that I created a Media Player playlist to connect to it and display any photo taken in the last 30 days. iMate frame i think. Beyond that cool point it was a major PITA.

I am similar to Dave in almost all his comments.

On the folder structure I just use the year though. So all my pictures from 2010 are in one folder called, 2010, imagine that. I then name my picutes yyyymmdd Event Title (ie 20101126 Thanksgiving at the Zoo, 20100704 Fourth of July at the Lake, etc). This gives me fast information on the picture in one folder so less clicking. I find it works well.

I use ACDSee 2009 and Adobe Photo Elements (can't remember exact name). I am starting to move away from the ACDSee software.

For viewing, Media Center is very nice because it will read metadata and you can show slideshows based on metadata. Note that this metadata has to be put into the file itself (such as how Windows Live Photo Gallery does, but now how Picasa or Photoshop elements keep their metadata in a separate database).

Over the last 10 days I've tagged all my photos using Windows Live Photo Gallery. I added Geotags, People tags, and in some cases, Descriptive tags. What I was hoping I could do (as I was tagging away) was to use Media Center to search for the People Tags. That way if a friend or family member is over, we could browse all the photos that that person appears in. Is this impossible in Media Center? Regarding tags, it seems Media Center can sort by the Descriptive tag, not Geotags or People tags. This is a big disappointment for me.

This is a problem for all of us. Personally, I am not sure that WMC is ready all that is offered with today's tagging software. Your best solution for doing what you want is not necessarily the best for WMC which has somewhat of a limited capability in that area. Personally for tagging and searching a large collection using a traditional PC, Picasa seems to do a great job (at least for what I am doing) and I find it more powerful than Photo gallery. That being said, as usacomp2k3 stated, WMC will not read the separate database that is created which is why it is blazingly fast. Ultimately, I end using a combo of folders and Picasa. The folders for WMC and Picasa for searching the tags as well as the other tools.

I am in the same boat as Dave and ImTheTypeOfGuy;

I need to figure out Face tagging...would like to be able to search for all my daughters or son's pictures by face recognition...

TheGuy