jcollison

Back at it with Storj Storage Coin

jcollison

Wieger and I had talked about Storj a few months ago on Home Gadget Geeks, but at the time, the client was not quite ready.  Last night I thought it was time to try again.  Things have improved.

Get info on Storj at https://storj.io/

Its now easier to set up and connect.  Better instructions as well.  Like SIA, which we have been covering also, there is no $$$ in Blockchain storage yet.  But being home server guys, its an interesting thing to keep an eye on.  After just 24 hours, I am already storing 58GB of data.  Been on SIA for almost 2 months now and am only at 90GB.  So I have both running.  

You can find info on SIA mining at https://siamining.com/  .  Info on the company and the storage is at https://sia.tech/

Lots of info and lots of videos out there on both products.  I suggest you watch a few before you jump in.  Love to converse on your findings

Edited by jcollison

• Similar Content

• matthewharmon102
      By matthewharmon102
      So after over a year, I have finally purchased the parts I need to expand my storage. I am having issues getting it set up and working.
      I have 2 gen8 MicroServers. Server 1 runs Xpenology, with 4x WD Red drives in the internal drive bays connected to the on board B120i, and 1x Crucial 960GB SSD Cache drive connected to the ODD port. The system boots from a USB stick. Server 2 runs Windows 10 and Plex from a 120GB SSD connected to the ODD port. It also has 2x 2TB drives connected to the B120i

What I have done is installed an HP 212 card in Server 1, and connected the internal drive bay of server 2 to the P212 in server 1. Server 1 recognises the P212 and can se the 2x 2TB drives.

The problem occurs once Xpenology boots. It doesn't see any additional drives, just the 4 drives connected to the B120i. When I first set up the server, I did no configuration on the B120i, so I assume this is running in ACHI mode, and no raid is enabled. I don't know if I need to set this up on the P212, but I haven't found an option for this.

I don't yet know what firmware the P212 is running, but I will be running the SPP updated tonight to see if a firmware update sorts it out, but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas
    • cupcake
      By cupcake
      Morning guys,

I got my previous question resolved once I got the floppy to sata cable, and used my 2.5" drive to load windows 10 on to. All now working great and been flying for a few weeks now.
      I've just upgraded my storage though and have a question.
      I've got 4 x WD Green 2TB drives installed.
      I've gone through the B120i setup and set up a new logical drive using all 4 physical drives in a RAID 1+0 setup, which should leave me with around 4TB of usable storage.
      That's all gone fine.
      When I've gone into Windows, the drives obviously aren't ready for use there, so I've gone into Disk Management to format the drives to make them usable, however I'm seeing them as 2 seperate blocks of storage, rather than one block of unalloacted space.
      Is this normal?
      If I just format both blocks, can I then merge them into one?

• GByOBRRLZG
      By GByOBRRLZG
      Hi, I'm thinking of getting a surface 2 for a familiy of 6.  Two parents and 4 young children.

The children will need to access school websites that undoubtebly use flash and require a complex username, teacher's email, passcode / pin.

What should I expect performance wise of a surface 2 with 6 people signed into it? 
      Should I get the larger disk version of the surface because the whole family plans to use it?

Is there an RT version of Last pass or a RT last pass like solution to remember all the passwords for the school sites?

Thanks!

• jeffshead
      By jeffshead
      The more I read, the more confused I get because of all of the personal opinions. I need help with deciding which path I should take with setting up my system.

I was all set to purchase a QNAP TS-451+ until I came across some conflicting info and how others have built an all-in-one server that has a virtualized NAS.

In a nutshell, I need to know what would be the best hardware/setup for my budget ($500-600). I already have one ESXi host with everything installed on hardware RAID 10, internal storage. It performs very well. I want to convert an existing workstation into another ESXi host. I have all of the parts I need to do this so it will not affect my budget. I just don't know if I should go the internal storage route, buy the QNAP TS-451+, build an all-in-one server or build a physical NAS using parts from another workstation.

I'm concerned about performance and storing backups. I'm thinking the NAS would be nice because I can use it with both ESXi hosts but from what I've read, performance will not be on par with ESXi internal storage. Everything on my network is 1 Gigabit.

Hardware specs of parts for ESXi or all-in-one I'm going to build:
      Motherboard that supports vt-d i7-950 CPU 24GB memory LSI 9260-81 RAID controller 4 - 4TB SATA HDD's Broadcom 5709C 4-port Gigabit NIC  
      My requirements:
      Really good performance Need to be able to stream and store videos that are LAN accessible. Have some storage space that is LAN accessible so VM's and other physical machines can share files or map as a drive.  
      - Will a $500-600 NAS provide the performance I want?
      - Is an all-in-one server robust and does it perform well?
      - Will anything within my budget beat the performance of ESXi internal storage?
      - What have I not taken into consideration?

I realize you probably need more info to help me. Please tell me what you need from me
    • mrossco
      By mrossco
      Well, it looks like Diskeeper quietly released their add-in for Windows Home Server 2011. I ran Diskeeper on my v1 box, and I've been looking for the 2011 version ever since I upgraded. It's pretty much the same as before, but it seems to have better VSS support. The UI in the Dashboard is much eaiser to use now that the Dashboard can expand to full screen.

http://www.diskeeper.com/home-use/diskeeper/home-server/overview/