RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DP to HDMI Active or Passive Adapter?

ColinK

Hi,

I am a newbie to servers, I used to leave this to my esteemed colleagues. I have received a GEN 10 server and 2 SATA drives, unfortunately they didn't come with any caddies or rails. In the meantime I have a Startech 6ft Passive DP to HDMI cable to my TV. The TV recognizes there is a cable but 'no signal' even when the server is on. My questions are; Should the server still provide some sort of output even if there are no SATA drives (ClearOS?). If so, is the Passive cable enough or do I need an Active adapter?

There are no trays for the drives. Take out the boot drive. You will see the large headed screws that guide the drive in place. Clear OS is not a graphical OS, so there may not be any output on the DP ports. What are you planning on using the server for?

Thank for the reply. In the UK mine did not come with any drives installed. After searching on HPE Support I found the relevant support docs, not as per the "START HERE Setup Information" leaflet. HP have handily supplied the screws just above the drive bays, 4 per drive.

Anyway, I would have thought I might have got something from the BIOS/POST utility (F2/F11) but no. Am I right to guess the ClearOS would only be installed on drive-supplied units? - So VGA screen is the only option?

Proposed usage will be a ESXi lab server to support virtual networking labs and networking products from Cisco CallManager, Juniper, etc.). My colleagues say some of the apps need serious CPU and RAM resources but the DL series is too big and noisy for a tiny apartment to the GEN 10 with 4 Core and 16Gb.

ClearOS would only be on servers that came with a boot drive. Post may be VGA only, but you could check setup to see if you can make DP primary display. As for ESXi, technically it is not supported on the MS Gen10. I did get it running on the MS Gen10, but I did not get passthrough to work. If you do not require passthrough it may work out for you. If the workload will be heavy you may want to look at 32GB of memory.

• Like 1

FWIW, With Windows 10 as my OS i saw no difference in passive vs active DP to HDMI converters -- both worked well

WP_20170604_13_03_45_Pro__highresCROP.jpg

That's good to know.

I have tried a FOINNEX VGA to HDMI USB powered adapter, still no-go, it was cheap so I didn't mind the expense. Both Ethernet ports are active a MAC level however there is no OS so they won't get an IP address (I was hoping that like my Synology NAS it would provide some basic web interface even if there are no active drives). Like many posts on here and elsewhere my ex-colleagues were also surprised there is no iLO.

It works without HDD and ClearOS works with DP without X.

Plese note - dp->hdmi ONE WAY!

I use cheap dp->hdmi adapter+long hdmi cable, it works very well in terminal mode.

I finally have the VGA -HDMI working with the FOINNEX cable. It was the new Samsung TV that seemed to be the issue as it tries to 'sense' the type of attached device i.e. the SOURCE screen displays Playstation, XBOX, etc; after a few F2's it recognized the server as 'PC'. Still does not work with active DP-HDMI adapter and HMDI cable or passive DP to HDMI all-in-one cable. The main thing is the server is up and running with ESXi installed.

Thank you everyone.