Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Backup your Synology NAS to this single drive DS115J for around $100

Dave

Check out the DS115J.  Most storage folks would think nothing of a single drive NAS.  You could however, backup your entire data set to this unassuming NAS though.  It will take up to a 12TB HDD.  If you have a Synology NAS already you can backup to it natively with Hyper Backup.  I use this tool to make a copy of my data set.  I also keep it in a separate location in the house.  And....it looks good!  Take a look at least...

Synology DiskStation 1-Bay Diskless Private Cloud NAS (DS115J) - $105

http://amzn.to/2zq7nKu

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 10.57.46 AM.png

ImTheTypeOfGuy

That is very intriguing but with one drive and their underperforming hardware wouldn't a backup to it take forever. I like the concept of Synology but am scared away due to the lack of just good hardware specs.

ShadowPeo
4 hours ago, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

That is very intriguing but with one drive and their underperforming hardware wouldn't a backup to it take forever. I like the concept of Synology but am scared away due to the lack of just good hardware specs.

I have to agree the Synology specs are not good compared to some other providers, and when then they do have a good spec its horribly overpriced

Dave
On 11/7/2017 at 9:06 PM, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

You are SO not buying this box for specs.  If you have a large backup then yes, the first time you run it, it will take a long time.  Subsequent runs backup the changes and take only seconds.  You guys took a turn and didn't take it for what it is; a cheap, over the network, backup target.  I'm betting you have a spare drive you could pop in it too.

• Like 1

ShadowPeo

Nope, no spares I have a backup/EoL regime that does not necessitate the keeping of old disk, and the new disks are all in use. I could move one of the 8TB disks into the device and I may do that. But as you pointed out the 12TB ones are cheap

• Like 1

alex1002

This is a really cheap Nas. But my only concern very slow and will take forever to migrate and restore 8tb of data. And also there's a big chance of failure when using single drive.

jazzerjay
On 11/13/2017 at 8:45 AM, Dave said:

You are SO not buying this box for specs.  If you have a large backup then yes, the first time you run it, it will take a long time.  Subsequent runs backup the changes and take only seconds.  You guys took a turn and didn't take it for what it is; a cheap, over the network, backup target.  I'm betting you have a spare drive you could pop in it too.

I like the Synology product for simplicity sake. I spend all day (and night) working on solutions at work.  When I'm home, I want my data, I want it streamed and I need it to be simple to include WAF.  Yes there are cheaper ways for data storage, but this one works for us. (obviously, there are more expensive ways as well)

Also, if this is Tier 3 backup storage, you wouldn't worry so much for failure.

Dave is spot on.

Edited by jazzerjay
  • Like 1

alex1002

I like the Synology product for simplicity sake. I spend all day (and night) working on solutions at work.  When I'm home, I want my data, I want it streamed and I need it to be simple to include WAF.  Yes there are cheaper ways for data storage, but this one works for us. (obviously, there are more expensive ways as well)

Also, if this is Tier 3 backup storage, you wouldn't worry so much for failure.

Dave is spot on.
I agree with this also.
  • Like 1