RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

win 10 client b/u fails w/ clientvssproblem

hkratzer

Got a new Dell XPS-13 for my wife with Win 10 Home and a 512 SSD. I can install the WHS 2011 connector successfully and even set up the backup. But I can't actually backup the Win 10 laptop. The client event log displays "Backup job 5 on [server] did not succeed. Reason: ClientVssProblem, System.String[]". The laptop SSD has a bunch of partitions but at this point all I'm trying to do is backup C:\ and I uncheck the rest of the partitions in the client backup setup on the server.

It's not just Win 10 itself. I'm successfully backing up 3 other Win 10 Pro systems with no problems. I've got a HP ProLiant Microserver with 4 disks.

Thanks so much for your help.

Hank

schoondoggy

I am not running WHS 2011 any more, so I am a bit rusty. Is WHS 2011 fully up to date and did you apply the Hot Fix for UEFI clients? I had a Dell XPS13 for work and if I remember correctly it was UEFI. You mentioned that you had three other Windows 10 PCs that are backing up fine, are they UEFI or standard BIOS?

schoondoggy, yes, WHS 2011 is up to date. But I don't have that hotfix. In my Panther folder the setupact.log file has 

Callback_BootEnvironmentDetect: Detected boot environment: EFI

Is that the same thing as UEFI basically? Not sure.

Thanks.

Hank

Dude. Thanks so much. I installed KB 2781272 but that did not exactly solve the issue. After that install, I could not even set up a backup for the XPS-13. The menu item was not even available. I tried removing the computer from the server and uninstalling the connector. Still nothing that let me even set up the backup in the menu. Then I found another thread in the forum about checking Windows update on the server. Sure enough, it found KB2934953 which made a .Net update. And that solved the problem. After removing the computer from the server and uninstalling/reinstalling the connector again, it started to work. I successfully backed up the XPS-13 and my older Win 10 systems are backing up successfully too. Again...thank you so much for your help!

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
schoondoggy

Great work putting the pieces together!

Threads like this turn out to be very helpful for users searching for solutions to their problems.

I am glad you got it up and running.

• Like 1