RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Patient Steve

ClearOS networking problems

Patient Steve

Guys, I have been struggling with clearOS 7.4 on my new Microserver Gen10 (base model, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB SDD in optical drive slot, nice piece of kit).  Most perplexing problem is that when I do an install and first reboot, Windows Networking (Samba) application works fine, but if I then simply reboot it will not start.

The guys on the clearOS forums have been spectacularly helpful but even they are running out of ideas.

A probably unrelated issue is that I don't seem to be able to connect via ftp - I keep getting 530 login incorrect messages.

Anyone come across anything similar?  Any thoughts?

schoondoggy

I am just starting to play with ClearOS. Have you tried escalating this with HPE? I seem to have fairly good luck using their chat system in support.

itx
13 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

I am just starting to play with ClearOS. Have you tried escalating this with HPE? I seem to have fairly good luck using their chat system in support.

Why HPE must help users to configure OS? ClearOS=RedHat=CentOS , so google,com can help ;) 

RedHat services must be configured to run on boot over systemctl enable <service> , ftp access restricted by default and must be configured.

Patient Steve

The guys from clearOS (and one particular guy on their forum) were very helpful.  I had to give the dev guys access to my server and it turned out to be an obscure problem way beyond my knowledge.  To quote the clearOS guys:

'Have not seen it on any other server, but for whatever reason, even with systemd's start up order settings, the parallel boot up of systemd on your box gets nslcd in a knot it cannot recover from on boot until you restart it.

Samba, cannot start with nslcd...it's a symptom of the real problem.'

They gave me some short instructions to create a small file and change its attributes and it worked fine.

Sadly I have been too busy to explore clearOS any further but my Samba problem has been solved.  clearOS support guys very helpful

1 hour ago, itx said:

Why HPE must help users to configure OS? ClearOS=RedHat=CentOS , so google,com can help ;) 

RedHat services must be configured to run on boot over systemctl enable <service> , ftp access restricted by default and must be configured.

It was a bit more fundamental than a configuration issue and I have not seen it reported on an hpe Microserver Gen10 anywhere else.  Certainly, if the clearOS team had been unable to solve it I would have been back to hpe asking for my money back since they are pushing the box specifically as a clearOS machine.

itx

Hmm.. very strange , in ClearOS samba use local LDAP by default?

P.S. Try CentOS , i not have any issues with samba or sftp/ftp, its work very smooth and stable.