RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What happens if one of your client computer backup files is deleted?

HankTheCat

I have an issue with one of my Data.DAT files in the Client Computer Backups folder.  I can’t copy it to a new location.  I guess there is a problem with the disk, but everything I’ve tried, from Safe Mode, chkdsk, etc has not allowed me to copy the file.  BTW, I’m replacing my hard disks, which is why I’m doing the move.

So what happens if I move my client computer backups folder minus this one file and then rebuild my database?  Will this remove the files that can’t be used in restoring client backups as well?  If they can’t be used, I don’t wan’t them sitting around.

If you lose one of the data files? You lose a chunk of backed up data.

The database will need to be repaired and you may end up losing a lot of backups. 

However, during the next backup pass of the systems, it may re-backup the missing data, and continue on. 

• Like 2

I meant what happens to any backup data files (.DAT) that can no longer be used because another file was deleted?  Will those get deleted as well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Best to know a disk is going bad before loss occurs. the advertiser you see on every page here has a product to help get advanced warning of disk issues.