RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Something old, something new

ikon

So I don't know if people are supposed to create posts in this forum (most of them seem to be by people involved with the podcast), but I'm going to ask for forgiveness rather than permission ;)

Anyway, I just listened to episode 1, about paperclips. You guys all know my father was fairly meticulous about his IT stuff. Well that goes for his 'reset' gear as well. Along with all the other stuff, I also inherited this:

WP_000279.jpg

Where he got it, nrf, I'll never know, but he had it stuck into a little hole in the drywall by his test bench, I presume so he would always know where it is and it would always be handy. When I first started looking at his stuff after he passed I couldn't figure out what this little piece of bent wire, this 'pin', was doing in the wall. However, I was still kind of hesitant about messing with his stuff at that point, so I left it where it was. Sure enough, the day came, months later as I recall, when I needed to reset something. I looked around for something that would fit in the little hole. I looked and looked.... then I smiled. I said a silent, "thanks Dad" and pulled the pin from the wall. It's kind of like when we going shopping: my wife will say (about her father), "OK, Dad, find me a parking spot". And, most of the time, we find one right about then. It's the little things you know.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, jsox said:

That is an optical drive manual eject pin. I have several. comes in handy when the power is off...

Well I'm sure it could be used for that, my father used it mostly to push the tiny reset buttons that most IT devices seem to have.