RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD Not Recognised - HGST 6TB 0S04007

olimortimer

Hi,

Long time since I've messed around with servers, but bought myself an HP Microserver Gen8 about 18 months ago, and only just got round to doing something with it, however I'm having issues...

Previously I chucked in a 120GB SSD running off port 5, along with 4 x 1TB drives (mix of WD and Seagate), and all drives were seen and could be put in a RAID (SSD in RAID 0).  However, I've decided I will need more space than that, so went out and bought 4 x 6TB HGST 0S04007 drives, without really checking if they would work...

I installed them in the server yesterday, but found that the B120i controller won't see them at all.  To confirm it's the drives, and not the controller that's gone pop, I put the SSD into slot 1, 6TB in slot 2, and a WD and Seagate 1TB in slots 3 and 4 - all but the HGST 6TB in slot 2 are seen...

Have a made a huge and expensive mistake in buying the HGST 6TB drives, as they don't seem to compatible with the server, or is it a case of upgrading firmware to allow it to recognise them?  Any help would be appreciated, before I bounce it off the walls. Thanks.

Firmware Version Info

Firmware Name Firmware Version Location
Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller 5.50 Embedded
iLO 2.50 Sep 23 2016 System Board
Intelligent Platform Abstraction Data 0.00 System Board
Intelligent Provisioning 1.63.192 System Board
Redundant System ROM J06 11/02/2015 System Board
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware 2.2.0.31.2 System Board
System Programmable Logic Device Version 0x06 System Board
System ROM J06 11/02/2015 System Board
System ROM Bootblock 02/04/2012 System Board

So I booted up with a Ubuntu install, to see if that could see the disks, and it can!  So looks like the controller doesn't support the HGST 6TB disks to set up RAID etc?

The SSD was plugged into slot 1, so running through the controller, and I started to install Ubuntu on this disk, but it threw up an error, which makes me wonder if the controller is faulty:

error fsyncing/closing/dev/sdc: input/output error

My original plan was to install FreeNAS rather than Ubuntu, but FreeNAS would only see the SSD when set to RAID 0, however it looks like I'll have to stick Ubuntu if that's how I'm going to see the disks.

Edited by olimortimer

FreeNAS does not have a driver for the B120i. Have you tried switching the B120i off and running AHCI to see if you can see the disks then?

Not yet, but I will try tomorrow.  However, I think I remember reading that in AHCI you can't boot off slot 5, which is where the SSD is installed.

Surely the drives should still be seen by the controller in the Smart Storage Administrator prior to POST?

That is correct, you can not boot from the ODD SATA port in AHCI. When I run FreeNAS I just boot from USB. As far as I know FreeNAS will not work with the B120i.

Ok, that's annoying but not the end of the world.

It still doesn't explain why the controller can't see the drives though, but the Ubuntu install can.

I've just posted up in the FreeNAS forum about the B120i, as it seems others are using the controller fine.

Hi,

I have a HP Micrsoserver Gen 8, and looking to install FreeNAS.  I purchased an SSD (RAID0) to run FreeNAS on slot 5, with 4 x 1TB drives (RAID0) in slots 1-4.  However, I've recently purchased 4 x HGST 6TB drives, but I'm having trouble seeing them through the controller and FreeNAS, however they do show up in Ubuntu.

I've swapped the 1TB drives for the 6TB drives, but I could not see the 6TB drives through the FreeNAS GUI. I booted into the HP Smart Storage Administrator (F10 during BOOT) for the B120i controller, but couldn't see the 6TB drives either.  I tried installing FreeNAS again, but the install couldn't see the 6TB drives.

Originally I had the 1TB drives in slots 1-4, and the B120i saw them fine.  I have also tested the 1TB drives during the FreeNAS install, and it seems them ok as well.

I've now disabled the embedded RAID controller, and using the AHCI option instead (slot 5 won't be bootable, but someone recommend I run FreeNAS off a USB instead of the SSD) but still the 6TB drives aren't recognised by FreeNAS.

If I boot Ubuntu on a USB, that sees the 6TB drives during install fine, so I know the drives are ok.

I can't work out where the issue lies, so I'm a bit stumped.  Any help would be appreciated.

I already had the SSD, as I was going to run Ubuntu, but someone recommended FreeNAS instead. If I can get FreeNAS to see the 6TB drives then I will run off a USB instead.