RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New/first WHS build

Gabre

Hi everyone.

I recently got to the conclusion that I need some sort of storage server for my media files.

I currently have to boot up my desktop1, to access my hard drives, and I'm therefore looking for an easier solution to connect to the tv, and it would be nice if it can be controlled with a remote.

The reason I don't boot up my desktop, is that I'm hardly ever playing games these days, and I do all my work on my laptop which is actually faster, but the storage space on it is very limited, and the desktop is just too big to place next to the TV.

I currently have about 2TB data (ripped from my DVD's and CD's), but I would like to have some spare space so looking at something like a SSD drive for the OS (probably MCE, unless told otherwise) and at least two hard drives for storage (I currently have 2x500GB in my desktop, and 2x1000GB + 2x1500GB externally, so a cabinet with two to four internal 3.5" slots would be nice).

I saw CablDeViL's build: HTPC Build Help , and thought it was something like that I am currently looking for, so I decided to sign up. :-)

I prefer the flat HTPC case layout over a cube since the flat layout is stackable.

My budget is up to around $800-1000, but it isn't so set that it can't be changed if it would greatly improve the build.

Hope you are able to help me with a build, or at least comment on what not to pick.

Best regards

Gabre.

Just for the reference:

1: My desktop build is:

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x3.0 GHz)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35T-DQ6

PSU: LC-Power Arkangel 850W

RAM: Corsari XMS3 RAM: 4x1GB

System: 80GB SATA hard drive.

Storage: 2x500GB SATA hard drive.

(I currently have got the smallest storage discs I have in the desktop and then the others in two external USB cases and in a two-disc NAS, although I would prefer to get rid of the need for the NAS).

Edited by Gabre

Hi everyone.

I recently got to the conclusion that I need some sort of storage server for my media files.

I currently have to boot up my desktop1, to access my hard drives, and I'm therefore looking for an easier solution to connect to the tv, and it would be nice if it can be controlled with a remote.

The reason I don't boot up my desktop, is that I'm hardly ever playing games these days, and I do all my work on my laptop which is actually faster, but the storage space on it is very limited, and the desktop is just too big to place next to the TV.

I currently have about 2TB data (ripped from my DVD's and CD's), but I would like to have some spare space so looking at something like a SSD drive for the OS (probably MCE, unless told otherwise) and at least two hard drives for storage (I currently have 2x500GB in my desktop, and 2x1000GB + 2x1500GB externally, so a cabinet with two to four internal 3.5" slots would be nice).

I saw CablDeViL's build: HTPC Build Help , and thought it was something like that I am currently looking for, so I decided to sign up. :-)

I prefer the flat HTPC case layout over a cube since the flat layout is stackable.

My budget is up to around $800-1000, but it isn't so set that it can't be changed if it would greatly improve the build.

Hope you are able to help me with a build, or at least comment on what not to pick.

Best regards

Gabre.

Just for the reference:

1: My desktop build is:

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x3.0 GHz)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35T-DQ6

PSU: LC-Power Arkangel 850W

RAM: Corsari XMS3 RAM: 4x1GB

System: 80GB SATA hard drive.

Storage: 2x500GB SATA hard drive.

(I currently have got the smallest storage discs I have in the desktop and then the others in two external USB cases and in a two-disc NAS, although I would prefer to get rid of the need for the NAS).

Glad you signed up and I am sure the forum can help. For starters, I have a couple of questions. Your title and requirements state that you want more storage for media files and you want to built a WHS. The reference link talks about an HTPC. Is your intent to build both or just one? In looking at what you need, I would suggest both. A very small WHS for back up and movie storage, followed by an HTPC. Before we recommend, can you please clarify what your goal is.

Glad you signed up and I am sure the forum can help. For starters, I have a couple of questions. Your title and requirements state that you want more storage for media files and you want to built a WHS. The reference link talks about an HTPC. Is your intent to build both or just one? In looking at what you need, I would suggest both. A very small WHS for back up and movie storage, followed by an HTPC. Before we recommend, can you please clarify what your goal is.

Hi pcdoc thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion, I'll try and clearify it.

Personally I'd rather just want one box which could it call.

I currently only need to access the files from one place (which I want to be the tv), so a HTPC would probably do the job alright, if you think it's adviceable, if not then a WHS would probably do the job, my only concern at the moment is the poweruse by the WSH.

No matter what I'll need a HTPC to read the data from the storage location and send it to the TV, but not much else is settled as it is.

All in all I want to be able to view my movies on my tv without having to use my desktop (or laptop for that matter), without anything that is making too much noise and preferably with a remote controller (but that's just adding an reciever I guess).

Hope that clears it up a bit.

On a totally different note I wouldn't mind to have the option to added something like a Onkyo TX-SR608 later for more sound control.

Guest no-control

Gabre,

Review the HTPC build I did. It seems like it would fit your needs quite well. To make it an storage unit,don't use the 320GB 2.5" drive I used. Instead the case has mounting points for 2 x 3.5" HDD's. So a couple of 2 TB HDDs would work fantastic and should provide enough space for movie and TV recordings. If you need/want more space 3 TB HDDs are available or you can shove more drives into the case with some modifications.

Please let us know if this is a step in the right direction and we can tailor it to better suit your needs.

Gabre,

Review the HTPC build I did. It seems like it would fit your needs quite well. To make it an storage unit,don't use the 320GB 2.5" drive I used. Instead the case has mounting points for 2 x 3.5" HDD's. So a couple of 2 TB HDDs would work fantastic and should provide enough space for movie and TV recordings. If you need/want more space 3 TB HDDs are available or you can shove more drives into the case with some modifications.

Please let us know if this is a step in the right direction and we can tailor it to better suit your needs.

Yeah such a solution would probably fit the needs alright.

I'd prefere a designated drive for the OS if possible, I'm too sure if there is space to mount a third (this one 2.5") drive somewhere (without replaceing the hard drive bay on the opposite side of the optical drive).

And probably going with a modular PSU (could be a Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 as pcdoc suggested in another thread).

Else there is always Lian-Li's C32, C33 and C34 which all have 4x3.5" spaces and the C50 which has 3x2.5" and 3x3.5", they are all 167-168mm (6.6") high, which is some more the C37 (94mm, 3.7") and the C39 (97mm, 3.8"), as well as they are more expensive.

And yeah probably 2TB or 3TB drives, but only the 5400RPM ones since there is no need for them to have that good search times as long as they are fast enough to play 1080p video smoothly ;-)

Edited by Gabre

Okay, I'll try and post a build that can be commented on.

M/B: GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3 mATX Motherboard.

CPU: Intel Core i3 530 or i3 540.

RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) - haven't settled on a brand.

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M600.

Boot/OS: 30GB-60GB SSD Depends on what is the budget allows for.

Storage HDD: 2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3EG Desktop Class HD203WI 2TB.

CAS: Lian Li C37B.

ODD: Some BR reader, could be a writer if it's cheap.

Utilities:

Remote (Logitech Harmony One or such).

IR receiver.

Audio: Is the build-in soundcard on the motherboard good enough or is an external needed?

Tuner: Suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

What do you think about this build, and anything you would edit?

Do you know if the hdmi port on the motherboard carries audio as well?

I know I lack a hard drive space for the last disc, I'll have to work something out when I have it in my hands.

Edited by Gabre

Guest no-control

Audio: Is the build-in soundcard on the motherboard good enough or is an external needed?

Tuner: Suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

What do you think about this build, and anything you would edit?

Do you know if the hdmi port on the motherboard carries audio as well?

I know I lack a hard drive space for the last disc, I'll have to work something out when I have it in my hands.

Audio if you are passing this along to a receiver then no card is required. HDMI or SPDIF will pass audio. Verify if your receiver can use the HD streams

Receiver: I just replaced my HK AVR-347 with a Denon AVR-591. Awesome little receiver, definitely the best bang for the buck right now.

Nothing I would change. Looks like a solid build.

All HDMI carries audio, but short answer is yes

SSD can be set in the case where ever there is space. I would suggest using mounting on the underside of the 2nd HDD tray.