RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Best budget Mining and Gaming Video Card

Dave

I'm looking at a 1050 ti card to put in my daily driver PC for some minor (no pun intended) gaming and to have it mine for me at night.

http://amzn.to/2iPhdiG

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 8.40.09 AM.png

I have a 1060 going full time as per "Master Miner" @jcollison setup.  I was also thinking about looking into Ethereum and need help funneling all this new found wealth (ha ha) into one wallet or account.

cskenney

Why select the 1050?  It will only make about 1/2 as much money mining per month as a 1060 but it isn't 1/2 the cost.  Spend $60 more and double your mining capability.

• Like 1

Dave

That's a great point.  My only thought was, it would go in my office.  I'll need to keep the fans down some and hopefully keep it quiet.

Trig0r

Mining over here in the Uk is where its at currently, colder nights are drawing in, what you spend in electric in heating you instead spend on mining, the rig keeps the room warm and is cheaper than heating :D

• Like 1

cskenney

My 1060 sits here mining away with the fan set to auto and it only runs 55%.  It isn't loud at all.

jcollison

I bumped my fans up a bit and they are not quiet, but last night I forgot to turn Nicehash off during Home Gadget Geeks, and you still couldn't hear them on the show.  #win

Jason

Are these video cards helpful in encoding or transcoding of 4K content? Trying to figure out any practical use of adding another graphics card to my WSE12R2 box for mining. Else seems I’d be adding another heat-generating card to earn cents for fun. Nothing wrong with that. I suppose this is large-scale distributed computing.