RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Has anyone tried this NAS looking case?

Dave

What MB would work with that if I wanted to run ESXi? I currently run my WHS 2011 on a VM with hardware passthrough for my sata controller and am looking to upgrade the box.

What MB would work with that if I wanted to run ESXi? I currently run my WHS 2011 on a VM with hardware passthrough for my sata controller and am looking to upgrade the box.

The case is designed for mini ITX motherboards. You would need to find a board that supports ESXi. It would need to have at least two SATA controllers to allow you to passthrough one of them or you would need to add a controller card.

Looks interesting, but since it is mini ITX you would only have a single PCI slot.  You would end up using the single slot for a raid card.  Might be OK for a server but I would make sure the motherboard onboard NIC was Intel.  Have had too many problems with other NIC's. 

The case is designed for mini ITX motherboards. You would need to find a board that supports ESXi. It would need to have at least two SATA controllers to allow you to passthrough one of them or you would need to add a controller card.
I guess I was hoping someone would have a specific board recommendation. I haven't been keeping up with ESXi compatible boards. The last time I did research was many moons ago.

1 hour ago, Bustout said:
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

I guess I was hoping someone would have a specific board recommendation. I haven't been keeping up with ESXi compatible boards. The last time I did research was many moons ago.

Hopefully others will share their expirience.

There are boards that run ESXi and vendors that support ESXi. Super Micro and Asrock Rack are two that tend to test for ESXi support. You will need to determine the performace you are looking for. 

You could also look at Paul's server for an idea of the upper end:

https://tinkertry.com/superservers

• Like 1