RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Array Rebuild

ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have a RocketRaid 2720 SGL card with five 3 TB drives in it. Unfortunately one drive has been locked and the array is rebuilding for a couple weeks and is only at 26% complete. Has anyone seen such long rebuilds? Should I just remove that drive and put a new one in? Not sure what the best solution is?

ImTheTypeOfGuy
2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

What event caused the rebuild to start? 

Not sure what caused it. It had been running a while when I figured out there was an issue. I didn't see anyting related to it in the event viewer. Unless I didn't look far enough back. My two weeks is based on poor performance.

It states I only have about 476 days left for the rebuild.

2 hours ago, Dave said:

I guess my first question would be, do you have the data on that array in another spot?

Anything of value is already backed up. Given its an HTPC only about 20% of it has any value.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy
schoondoggy

Are there log files in the RAID card's app that could confirm which drive may be giving it trouble? Are there diagnostics with the RAID card that could confirm a drive or controller issue?

ImTheTypeOfGuy
17 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Are there log files in the RAID card's app that could confirm which drive may be giving it trouble? Are there diagnostics with the RAID card that could confirm a drive or controller issue?

Yes but all it indicated was that a rebuild has started. After seeing your message I decided to look again and make sure I didn't overlook anything. I found that back in March, the disk that has been locked had about 8 SMART test failures, four "An error occured on the disk at 'ST3000DM001-1CH166-Z1F16M3Y' at Controller1-Channel4.", and one error notifying "Successfully repaired bad sector on disk 'ST3000DM001-1CH166-Z1F16M3Y' at Controller1-Channel4: LBA 0x34349950 sectors 0x30 ".  Odd that there are no errors since March but it is the one that is now locked. I think I will go ahead and change out that disk and see if it quickly rebuilds.