ShadowPeo

Time Lapse Camera

ShadowPeo

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to achieve a time lapse with a long interval period (I am thinking 30 minutes to several hours here) I have a need to photograph a time lapse that will run a number of weeks (anything up to 6 months for this project) and ultimately be output to a 1080P video. The use case has constant access to power where it is going to be so battery is not 100+ required. I will cull the night shots automatically after the fact so that is neither hear nor there

Any suggestions welcolmed

cskenney

Is the camera going to be inside where it is protected or outside?  Could the camera be controlled remotely by a PC so that the PC is determining when the picture is taken?

Dave

I am doing my all day captures with a cheap action cam. I use power when I can and external battery when I'm not near an outlet. I've done a few in the waterproof case too.

You can buy fancy time lapse camera or get a cheap 1080p action cam, or two. iPhone works very good too.

ShadowPeo
2 hours ago, cskenney said:

Is the camera going to be inside where it is protected or outside?  Could the camera be controlled remotely by a PC so that the PC is determining when the picture is taken?

Inside in a semi-temperature controlled environment. Had thought about using a Raspberry Pi or similar but then I would have to buy one and then I may as well buy one of the proper time-lapse cameras or GoPro controllers. I thought about using an old iPad that I have access to, but then I may get burn in on the screen

2 hours ago, Dave said:

I am doing my all day captures with a cheap action cam. I use power when I can and external battery when I'm not near an outlet. I've done a few in the waterproof case too.

You can buy fancy time lapse camera or get a cheap 1080p action cam, or two. iPhone works very good too.

I had thought about that, but unfortunately, the GoPro does not have a long enough elapse period, it does 60 seconds max, whereas I want 30 minutes or an hour (most likely an hour as its going to be a long slow process that is being documented with little change between the shots)

Dave

Ok.  Here are the other cameras I was looking at.  I found these guys at CES.  They have a lot of other gear too.

https://www.amazon.com/Brinno-BCC100-Lapse-Construction-Camera/dp/B00EA1EODE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1509362203&sr=8-8&keywords=brinno

https://www.amazon.com/Brinno-TLC200-Lapse-Motion-Camera/dp/B01K3YNXAQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509362220&sr=8-4&keywords=brinno

and

http://amzn.to/2z4hrbI

I didn't dig up the time lapse options on them but I was close to getting one to do mine.  I ended up just setting up every day and doing 5 second captures though.  It would have been fun to play with one of these though!

ShadowPeo

I am wondering if I should give this a shot with the DSLR, I can do long interval time lapse with it but need the power adapter, either that or I can get the GoPro adapter :( was hoping to get out of this without spending money