RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backblaze hard drive stats for Q3 2017

Dave

We've talked about this before and BB has done some crazy stuff getting hard drives. Here is their latest stats.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q3-2017/

We’ll also check in on our 8 TB enterprise versus consumer hard drive comparison, and look at the storage density changes in our data centers over the past couple of years. Along the way, we’ll share our observations and insights, and as always, you can download the hard drive statistics data we use to create these reports.

• 11 months later...

Anyone have an opinion in 2018 of WD Reds vs Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives? IWs are running $299 per drive for 10 TB HDDs.

IW series has been great for me, I keep having dropouts on the Synology of the Reds but the IW's are rock solid been replacing them slowly with IW's. Synology gear also has a deeper integration with the IW's than with WD's

• Like 1

IW series has been great for me, I keep having dropouts on the Synology of the Reds but the IW's are rock solid been replacing them slowly with IW's. Synology gear also has a deeper integration with the IW's than with WD's

Thanks ShadowPeo. Appreciate the feedback.

I was fortunate to get 6 years of life out of 8x 3 TB WD Reds given they’re rated for closer to 3 years. It’s possible I had to replace a couple of drives in between, but WD RMA support worked well.

Seagate IWs are quite economical for their large 10 Tb HDDs. Definitely considering them as I retire my RAID config and move more to traditional drives in my home server.

Not to mention, by using 6 fewer HDDs and no RAID card, I expect my power consumption and heat to decrease as well.