RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drama! Forgotten Server2012R2 log in password for admin!

rich1983

Dusted off the server as it's been stored unused for a while. I can't remember the password and have tried loads :(

SSD has OS, four WD Red's on raid 10.

Question is, can I access the data in the raid if I just put another OS on the SD? It's the data on the raid which is of value not the install of Windows...

Help!

That happened to me one time and I had to reinstall the OS as the only solution
But data was still fine? I don't think I encrypted it - almost certain I didn't...

If it is software based Raid then you will lose the data. But if you have a hardware solution using a 3rd parties card then you should have no problem retrieving the data.

You can reset the local admin password on server 2012 with a bit of poking...

• Boot from the Micrsoft Windows Server 2012 DVD
  • From the Windows Setup menu, click “Next”.
  • Select “Repair your computer”
  • Under Choose and option, click on “Troubleshoot”.
  • Under Advanced options, click “Command Prompt”.
  • At the command prompt, run the following commands:
    d: (wherever your windows directory is held)
    cd windows\system32
    ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.old
    copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
  • Close the command prompt and then click “Continue”.
  • The server should now boot and present the logon screen. Here click Windows Key + U.
  • At the prompt you can now change the password, by typing the following command:
    net user administrator Password123

• Like 1

Do the Linux Live boot disks not work anymore? that has always been my go to for forgotten passwords.

If it is software based Raid then you will lose the data. But if you have a hardware solution using a 3rd parties card then you should have no problem retrieving the data.
Raid is B120 as per G8 - is this safe? Two logical drives, OS disk on SSD (logical drive) and the data is on four disks made as a single logical drive.
You can reset the local admin password on server 2012 with a bit of poking...
  • Boot from the Micrsoft Windows Server 2012 DVD
  • From the Windows Setup menu, click “Next”.
  • Select “Repair your computer”
  • Under Choose and option, click on “Troubleshoot”.
  • Under Advanced options, click “Command Prompt”.
  • At the command prompt, run the following commands:
    d: (wherever your windows directory is held)
    cd windows\system32
    ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.old
    copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
  • Close the command prompt and then click “Continue”.
  • The server should now boot and present the logon screen. Here click Windows Key + U.
  • At the prompt you can now change the password, by typing the following command:
    net user administrator Password123

That sounds helpful! Can I use an external CD drive or mem stick as I don't have an ODD.

1. as long as the configuration for that array does not change on the raid card it will be fine and the data will stay intact. have done this on Gen4/5/7 proliants that have had failed OS drives. i have even swapped arrays to other identical cards and imported the config. (bum twitching).

2. DVD/USB same same, long as you boot into the setup environment its fine. i did think though that you could use a Function key to boot into a recovery menu, i can on my surface but that might be due to it having a recovery partition as such.

1. as long as the configuration for that array does not change on the raid card it will be fine and the data will stay intact. have done this on Gen4/5/7 proliants that have had failed OS drives. i have even swapped arrays to other identical cards and imported the config. (bum twitching).

2. DVD/USB same same, long as you boot into the setup environment its fine. i did think though that you could use a Function key to boot into a recovery menu, i can on my surface but that might be due to it having a recovery partition as such.
Cheers Eddie I'll give it a go. Do I use a Windows Server USB stick or do I need to make a special recovery one?

nah, just use the USB creation tool and provide it your 2012R2 iso and you should be fine. you could also do it in iLO as an ISO to save you faffing with USB.