RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jcollison

If you are thinking about starting a BTC Account at Coinbase

jcollison

I have an affiliate link for Coinbase if you are starting an account there.  Use the link https://www.coinbase.com/join/55b1870069702d49520000ae

Thanks.  Its worth a $10 credit for me.  

Been using it now for 6 months or so and like the service I get for BTC.  Good way to get USD in and out of BTC.

cskenney

If I had only known about the affiliate link when I signed up a few weeks ago...

jcollison

No worries Chris.  I didn't know about it either

Dave

What is the method of going from that wallet you setup for me to this? Do I need to? I'm in if you want.

jcollison

You would use Coinbase if you want to convert BTC into USD and move it to a Bank account.  You can also use it to buy BTC from a number of sources.   Not a bad idea to have it set up

Dave

Tons of questions for you Jim. I'm not scared to sound "NOOB!"  I'm sure others have had similar questions.

Can you use any miner software and transfer results to any BTC address?  For instance I was thinking of setting up a 2nd system and possibly trying a different miner software.  Where would I send those results? Straight to Coinbase? 

I have a nicehash.com wallet since I'm mining with that.  If I setup a Coinbase account it would give me a BTC address to transfer to?

Are there fees involved and from who? Nicehash to transfer out? Coinbase to transfer in?

I assume once its in Coinbase it is still BTC?

I can then transfer it out of Coinbase to USD?

PayPal, bank, how?

jcollison

Yes, you can use other miners, but each one is different and they all work different ways.  You will need to read up on each miner.  Some work in pools, others work alone.  Pools are better for smaller miners.

Yes, Coinbase will give you a 'receive' BTC address to move coins from Nicehash to Coinbase. 

Yes, there are transaction fees everytime you move anything.  Depends on the exchange on just how much.  Moving BTC less often and in bigger amounts is almost always better.  Some fees are flat, some are based on the transaction amount.  You have to read the terms of each wallet/exchange to find out.

Coinbase has wallets for BTC, ETH and Litecoin.  You would want to move everything in BTC.

The Bitcoin blockchain is going to fork on Nov 16th.  This will add a new level of complexity and could mean that you can end up with double the amount of coins after said date.  But your BTC needs to be IN Coinbase before the 16th.  Might want to that in there even sooner.  Lots of Youtube videos on this.  Google 'bitcoin fork november 2017'

Yes, you can move BTC to USC via Coinbase.  There are flat fees for doing that, so check in advance.  I am going to try to spend my BTC at vendors that take BTC and never take it out in cash.  That is just my plan.  You can sell BTC out of Coinbase to Paypal or an account you set up.  

Hope that helps

• Like 1

jcollison

I forgot to mention, if you sign up for Coinbase with this link, you get $10 too!  

Dave

Ok Jim, signing up now.  Remind me to move my NiceHash over to Coinbase before the fork!

Ok. Done. Hopefully you see the referral.

jcollison

Dave, the fork is happening on the 16th.  I would have that BTC moved by the 12th or 13th.  Just to be safe.  I haven't seen the referral yet, but it takes a day or two

• Similar Content

• Dave
      By Dave
      Digging in a little more about what to report and what to tax.  This podcast below is a wealth of information for anyone that is holding a coin.

http://pca.st/bd2Y

Some items i have heard:

Coinbase provided the IRS the information of anyone in their system with $20k or over in assets.
      Deposits to Coinbase via FIAT currency are not taxable events.
      Trade of BTC to Altcoin IS A TAXABLE event.

Reply with concerns or take-aways from this podcast.

*This is not tax advice. Consult a tax professional.
    • jcollison
      By jcollison
      Right now the blockchain for bitcoin is so slow, it can't meet the 15-minute time limit that Newegg puts on each transaction.  It just times out and you have to cancel the order and request a refund.  Not a great experience just yet.

Move the BTC to your bank account or PayPal and do the transaction from there.  Much better.