Sign in to follow this  
Trig0r

Shiney New New

Trig0r

So, after many years and having travelled around the world, my trusty old Surface Pro 3 (i7/8/250) has been replaced buy the Surface Pro 2017 (i7/16/512)...

First thoughts, other than its original setup being in German, its nice, still setting it up but on the road tomorrow so will see if I notice anything different.

I do like Windows Hello though, unlocking with my mug rather than PIN saves me the tiniest amount of time but does make things easier..

Haven't heard the fans once yet, despite the standard updates on first boot, a world of difference compared to the Pro 3 which I reset today, Christ that thing was noisy by comparison...

• Like 1

eddie563

i love my 4 and as you say, the Hello feature is quality.

Trig0r

So, was in the office today so managed to get a bit more done on it.

Randomly my BT keyboard stopped working after about 10 minutes, unpair and pair it and its fine, for another 10 minutes or so..

Turns out the BT services are a bit hit and miss according to the MS guy I spoke too, weird though as the BT mouse I have still works fine when the keyboard doesn't..

I also noticed, when I first set the unit up, despite picking UK English I still have the odd German word (During setup once picking UK English it told me something had gone wrong) appearing, I've downloaded the recovery so might try that if it plays up tomorrow, I have already reset it once though, I have also downloaded the FCU and have that on a USB stick so I have 2 routes to go down...

It is nice to have the 16gb RAM and 512Gb storage though, Hyper-V is on there and I'm just copying some ISO's over to have a play tomorrow.

Also got me one of these..

https://www.startech.com/uk/Networking-IO/usb-network-adapters/USB-3-to-Dual-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-NIC-with-USB-Port~USB32000SPT

Will come in useful...

Trig0r

So, now using a USB keyboard...

Deffo something fishy with the BT as my mouse still works but the keyboard doesn't, gonna try another BT keyboard shortly.

schoondoggy
So, now using a USB keyboard...
Deffo something fishy with the BT as my mouse still works but the keyboard doesn't, gonna try another BT keyboard shortly.
Which BT keyboard are you using?

Trig0r

Microsoft Designer KB/Mouse, worked fine on the SP3, on the 2017 its being a PITA...

depillow

I just installed Windows Creators Edition yesterday. It went absolutely flawlessly on my Surface Three

Trig0r

Well ran an install from the FCU ISO, still had BT issues, did another install from the MS downloadable recovery, not tested it yet but got the Designer pack here for in the morning, going to leave it for now downloading updates etc, its 01:31 so probably bed time..

schoondoggy
Microsoft Designer KB/Mouse, worked fine on the SP3, on the 2017 its being a PITA...
My Microsoft Wedge keyboard loses connection occasionally when it's batteries are low, especially when using rechargeable batteries, but only on certain devices. I put fresh alkalines in it and it's fine. It seems like it may be going into a low power or sleep mode. I know it seems odd, but have you tried fresh batteries?

Trig0r
My Microsoft Wedge keyboard loses connection occasionally when it's batteries are low, especially when using rechargeable batteries, but only on certain devices. I put fresh alkalines in it and it's fine. It seems like it may be going into a low power or sleep mode. I know it seems odd, but have you tried fresh batteries?
Have tried fresh batteries and a completely new kb/mouse kit...