RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Calby

Newest drivers that are not in the latest SPP

Calby

Hi,
Here is some new drivers and Firmwares that I have find that are newer then the once that was on the SPP.

The new drivers are

• Ethernet Firmware (Only Windows) (EXE-file)
  • Ethernet Driver (Only Windows) (EXE-file)
  • Graphifc Drivers (Only Windows) (EXE-file)

The link also inkludes

• Intelligent Provisioning 1.70.63 (All OS) (ISO-File)

Install instruktions

If you 'll download and install the Firmware and driver for the Ethernetcard, make sure that you install the Firmware and reboot the server before you update the drivers.

The Intelligent Provisioning update is a bootable ISO-file.
So just mount the file in your iLO remote console and then choose to boot the server from the DVD (mounted ISO-file) then follow the instructions.

Download link
https://cloud.nohatech.se/d/d287965bf78c4a50a24b/

Password
Sweclockers2017HPe

Download instruktions
You can if you want donwload each file by it self or you can download all of the files in one zip-file.
If you want to download the files in a zip-file just click on the Green link that says "ZIP" at the right on the download site and the server will zip the files for you and start a download for you.

Every file is named like this HPesOwnPacketName_Version_FW/driver.exe everything so you can see the info about the files.

I'll continue to upload the newest drivers and firmwares for our beloved HPe Microsoerver gen8.

Edited by Calby
  • Thanks 1

Robertomcat

Thank you very much! Is the Intelligent Povisioning package installed just like an SSP?

A few days ago I installed the specific SSP that HP has released for generations 8. This package already bears the Intelligent?

Calby
1 minute ago, Robertomcat said:

Thank you very much! Is the Intelligent Povisioning package installed just like an SSP?

A few days ago I installed the specific SSP that HP has released for generations 8. This package already bears the Intelligent?

Hi, No.

This things was not included in the SPP.

Mount the IP trough your iLO remote console and choose to boot from it and the IP 'll update.

If someone downloads this things, can you please post your download speed?
I'm just intressting if I can max the line :)

Winterwolf

Cheers ,.. Grabbing them now.  I'm getting about 8MB/s download speed.

Graphics driver is for Windows 2016, and not supported on my Win 2012 apparantly.  Do you know if thats the case for the Ethernet as well?

Any big benefit, resource savings etc with Win 2016 out of curiosity? .... I moved from Win2k8 to 2012 earlier this year and things seemed to be more sluggish.  If 2016 is any better I could be tempted to upgrade.

Is the Gen 8 fully supported under 2016?

Edited by Winterwolf

Calby
25 minutes ago, Winterwolf said:

Cheers ,.. Grabbing them now.  I'm getting about 8MB/s download speed.

Graphics driver is for Windows 2016, and not supported on my Win 2012 apparantly.  Do you know if thats the case for the Ethernet as well?

Any big benefit, resource savings etc with Win 2016 out of curiosity? .... I moved from Win2k8 to 2012 earlier this year and things seemed to be more sluggish.  If 2016 is any better I could be tempted to upgrade.

Is the Gen 8 fully supported under 2016?

Hi,
I'm a server tech for both 2012 and 2016, and I can say that the 2016 version is much better.
You can buy a cheep licens for the 2016 Standard edition och ebay.
Standard edition is the best one to use for home / small busniess users.

Regarding the Ethernet, I don't think so it should bee for all the Windows x64 but I'm not sure, download it and try it. The files are not so big.

Winterwolf

Cheers .. Will look at rebuilding to 2016 when I get a spare day.

The Ethernet FW updated no problems along with the driver B)

Robertomcat
13 hours ago, Calby said:

Hi, No.

This things was not included in the SPP.

Mount the IP trough your iLO remote console and choose to boot from it and the IP 'll update.

If someone downloads this things, can you please post your download speed?
I'm just intressting if I can max the line :)

Hello good day! I updated the package I.P. without any problem. On what website are these packages to be able to download them directly, since I have always updated from the internal tool of the server. Thank you very much.

Eradicated

Can somebody re-upload the IP1.70? It looks like the link has expired, and I cannot find Intelligent Provisioning 1.70 anywhere on the HP website...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Taztaztic
      By Taztaztic
      Hi all,

I am new to the server world (please be gentle) and I desperately need some help!

I recently acquired a HP MicroServer Gen8. Bays 1 & 2 have 1TB SSD each and I believe they are setup in a RAID 1 config (not sure how to check) and have windows server 2012 installed.

Bays 3 & 4 are empty and I recently purchased a 4TB WD Blue Hard Drive and managed to install windows 10 onto it via a separate computer.

I've now inserted the 4TB Hard drive into bay 3 and want windows 10 to load up, but its not doing that....it keeps loading up windows server 2012 thats in bays 1/2 hard drives.

How can I choose which bay to boot windows from? I like it to boot from Bay 3 most of the time that has windows 10.

In normal computers, it was simple to organise the boot order via BIOS, but with the Gen8 its seems very complex with HP's own BIOS...etc and it's starting to give me a headache!

Any help from anyone will be really appreciated!

A simple easy to follow instructions will suffice.

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • radaxian
      By radaxian
      Hi all,

Here's a guide I would like to share around Windows Storage spaces and creating a 4x drive Parity pool

In a nutshell I have Windows Serer 2019 and storage space parity pool running very nicely on my Gen8. Here's the configuration I used and How to copy my setup.
      (I still believe ZFS or UnRAID are far better choice as a filesystem on these limited servers, but if you need Windows like I do, then storage spaces can be an excellent alternative.)

This is my "best effort" guide and by no means perfect. It does however yield excellent results for both read and write speeds.

Gen8 Microserver
      16GB RAM
      CPU Stock for now (1270 V3 on it's way)
      Disks  4x 3TB WD NAS drives in front bays
      SSD - Samsung Evo 850 265

First lesson, DONT use the Windows GUI to create the pool or Virtual disk as the GUI applies terrible defaults that you can't edit and will ruin performance. Also make sure you're on the latest version of Windows server as a LOT has changed and been improved recently.

You must use PowerShell.

Terms:
      PhysicalDiskRedundancy - Parity Columns - 4 (The data segments stripped to disks. Should match your 4 disks) Interleve - 256K (The amound of data written to each "column" or disk. In this case 256KB interleave gives us a 64K write to each disk) LogicalSectorSize - 4096 PhysicalSectorSize - 4096 REFS/NTFS Cluster - 64K  

Overall configuration:
      4 drive file system, one bootable SSD in RAID mode.

BIOS setup initial
      F9 into the BIOS and set the B120i controller into RAID mode
      F5 into the RAID manager and create 1 individual RAID0 logical drive for the SSD
      Set the SSD as the preferred boot drive (Yes in the same screen)
      Set the cluster size to 63
      Enable caching

Windows install 
      Install Windows 2019 Server Standard GUI edition from ISO
      Offer up the B120i RAID drivers via a USB stick so the wizard can see the SSD RAID0 drive. Filename p033111.exe (Have them extracted)
      Windows update and patch and reboot

BIOS setup post windows
      Once windows is up and running go back into the F5 RAID manager and finish the setup of the 4 front drives into 4x RAID0
      Check the SSD is still set as the preferred boot drive (Yes in the same screen)
      Set the cluster size to 63

Windows config of storage spaces
      At this point you should see 4 individual drives ready to be used as a Storage pool

Try to set each disk to have a cache (Not all drives support this)
      Win + X to open the side menu
      Device Manager
      Expand Disk Drives
      Right Click the "HP Logical Volume" for each drive
      Check - "Enable write caching on the device"
      (If it doesn't work don't stress, it's optional but nice to have)

Powershell - Run as Admin

Determine the physical drisks available for the pool we're about to create
      Get-PhysicalDisk | ft friendlyname, uniqueid, mediatype, size -auto  
      Your output will look something like this, so identify the 4 drives that are the same and take note of their uniqueID

Mine are the bottom four drives all 3TB in size

friendlyname            uniqueid                                        size
      ------------                         --------                                        ----
      SSD
      HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001C5C7A1716CCDD5A706248        250023444480

HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001CAC8AFB32EE6C88C5530D       3000559427584
      HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001C51F9E0FF399C742F83A6       3000559427584
      HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001C2FA8F3E8856A2BF094A0       3000559427584
      HP LOGICAL VOLUME       600508B1001CDBCE168F371E1E5AAA23       3000559427584

Rename the friendly name based on the UniqueID from above and set to "HDD type"

Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "Your UniqueID" -newFriendlyname Disk1 -mediatype HDD

You will need to run that 4 times with each UniqueID code and create a new friendly name for each drive. I called mine "Drive 1, Drive 2" etc
      Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "600508B1001C2FA8F3E8856A2BF094A0" -newFriendlyname Disk1 -mediatype HDD Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "600508B1001CDBCE168F371E1E5AAA23" -newFriendlyname Disk2 -mediatype HDD Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "600508B1001CAC8AFB32EE6C88C5530D" -newFriendlyname Disk3 -mediatype HDD Set-Physicaldisk -uniqueid "600508B1001C51F9E0FF399C742F83A6" -newFriendlyname Disk4 -mediatype HDD  
      Verify the disks have been set correctly
      The following example shows which physical disks are available in the primordial server and CAN be used in the new Pool. You're just checking here if the friendly name renaming worked and they are all set to HDD type. Primordial just means on your local server and available.
      Get-StoragePool -IsPrimordial $true | Get-PhysicalDisk | Where-Object CanPool -eq $True You should see your four drives with nice names that you set like "Disk1"

Now find out your sub system name, as we need this for the next command. Just take note of it. Example "Windows Storage on <servername>"

Mine is ""Windows Storage on Radaxian"
      Get-StorageSubSystem  

The following example creates a new storage pool named "Pool1" that uses all available disks and sets the cluster size.
      New-StoragePool -FriendlyName Pool1 -StorageSubsystemFriendlyName "Windows Storage on Radaxian" -PhysicalDisks (Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $True) -LogicalSectorSizeDefault 64KB  

Now create the Virtual Disk on the new pool with 4x disks and Partity set correctly. (This is critical to do via PowerShell)
      New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Pool1" -FriendlyName "VDisk1" -ResiliencySettingName Parity -NumberOfDataCopies 1 -NumberOfColumns 4 -ProvisioningType Fixed -Interleave 256KB -UseMaximumSize Those two commands should complete without error, if they don't go back and check your syntax

Go back into the Windows GUI and open this
      Server Manager\File and Storage Services\Servers
      You should see the Storage pool listed and the Virtual disk we created in the previous steps.

Storage pool - Pool1
      Virtual Disk - VDisk1

Select Disks in the GUI
      Identify your new VDisk1 and right click it.
      Set to Online, this will also set it to use a GPT boot record

On the same screen in the below pane Volumes
      Click TASKS and select "New Volume"
      Select REFS and Sector size of 64K
      Enter a volume name like "Volume1" or whatever you want to call it
      Select a drive letter such as Z
      (You can use NTFS here for slightly better performance, but I'm sticking to REFS as it has some benefits)

You'll now have a Storage pool, Virtual disk on top and a volume created with optimal settings

Go back into Power Shell
      Enable power protected status if applicable (Just try it, no harm)
      (Ideally here you should have your server connected to a basic UPS to protect it from power outages)
      Set-StoragePool -FriendlyName Pool1 -IsPowerProtected $True  
      Check if the new sector sizes of Virtual disk and all relevant settings are correct
      Get-VirtualDisk | ft FriendlyName, ResiliencySettingName, NumberOfColumns, Interleave, PhysicalDiskRedundancy, LogicalSectorSize, PhysicalSectorSize Example output
      FriendlyName  ResiliencySettingName  NumberOfColumns  Interleave  PhysicalDiskRedundancy  LogicalSectorSize  PhysicalSectorSize
      VDisk1                Parity                                      4                       262144                         1                                        4096                       4096

You're done.... enjoy the new Volume.

At this point you can share out your new Volume "Z" and allow client computers to connect.

Some other commands in Power Shell that I found useful

Get more verbose disk details around sectors.
      Get-VirtualDisk -friendlyname Vdisk1 | fl  
      Get-PhysicalDisk | select FriendlyName, Manufacturer, Model, PhysicalSectorSize, LogicalSectorSize | ft  

Check if TRIM is enabled. This output should be 0
      fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify If TRIM is not enabled, you can set it on with these commands
      fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify ReFS 0 fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify NTFS 0  

Check the Power Protected status and cache
      Get-StorageAdvancedProperty -PhysicalDisk (Get-PhysicalDisk)[0]  

Once your data has been migrated back to your new pool from backup, make sure you run this command to "spread out the data" properly.
      This command rebalances the Spaces allocation for all of the Spaces in the pool named SQLPool.
      Optimize-StoragePool -FriendlyName "Pool1"  

I'm yet to get my Xeon in the mail, but once that's installed I think the disk performance will go up even higher as the stock CPU is junk.

• Gulftown
      By Gulftown
      As I have decided to make some improvements on my afermarket fan controller I am trying to try implementing thermal control or mobo PWM control of additional fans, but before that I'm in a great need to inderstand how much fan count the controller should be ready to support. As this forum doesn't support polls I have nothing to do but ask you to reply on this topic.

What I would be thankful to know:
      1. How many fans have you installed in your Microserver.
      2. What fans do you use (size, 3/4-pin connector) and where are they located, also what are they cooling.
      3. What way do you power these fans?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
    • kavejo
      By kavejo
      Hi,

I’m looking for the latest Proliant SPP for Gen. 8 servers. 

I’ve got a MicroServer, a DL360e and a DL380e which I’d love to update.

Has anyone got the latest SPP that wouldn’t mind sharing?

Thank you!